What Is the Maximum Force Exerted by the Floor on the Ball?

In summary, the problem involves a rubber ball being dropped from a height of 1.8 meters and rebounding to two-thirds of its initial height. The figure provided shows the impulse received from the floor and the question asks for the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball. Using the equation for impulse and the given time of 5 milliseconds, the calculated value for Fmax is .176. However, this answer was incorrect and the student attempted to solve using the equation F*change in t = change in m*v. They calculated the velocity to be .72, but this value does not match the given information and therefore the final answer of .0116 was incorrect. The correct solution involves calculating the velocity of the ball as
julz3216

Homework Statement

A 41 rubber ball is dropped from a height of 1.8 and rebounds to two-thirds of its initial height.
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070447/4/09.P29.jpg
The figure (Part C figure) shows the impulse received from the floor. What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?
t=5ms

Homework Equations

change in p = F*change in time
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried and got Fmax = .176 by plugging into the 1st equation for impulse

Physics news on Phys.org
If you solved the other problem you posted you should know how to solve this so long as you calculated your Impulse correctly from the info given.

So I tried to do F*change in t = change in m*v but it didn't work. i calculated velocity by doing change in d/ change in t. i used 2.5 for t because that is where fmax occurs and i also used d as 1.8 because that is the distance the ball travels in 2.5 seconds

so i got v=.72 and then mv=.029
so 2.5F = .029
F = .0116

and that was wrong. so i don't really know what to do?

julz3216 said:
So I tried to do F*change in t = change in m*v but it didn't work. i calculated velocity by doing change in d/ change in t. i used 2.5 for t because that is where fmax occurs and i also used d as 1.8 because that is the distance the ball travels in 2.5 seconds

so i got v=.72 and then mv=.029
so 2.5F = .029
F = .0116

and that was wrong. so i don't really know what to do?

Where did you get v = .72 from? It fell 1.8m

V2 = 2*9.8*1.8m

How fast does it bounce back?

Isn't that going to give you the ΔV that you want to use?

The 2.5 ms* Fmax looks ok though.

1. What is maximum force?

Maximum force is the greatest amount of force that can be applied to an object before it breaks or undergoes a significant change in shape or motion.

2. How is maximum force measured?

Maximum force is typically measured using a force gauge or load cell, which can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to an object in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

3. What factors affect maximum force?

The maximum force that an object can withstand is influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the object (such as strength and elasticity), the shape and size of the object, and the speed and direction of the applied force.

4. What is impulse in relation to maximum force?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and it represents the change in an object's momentum. In the context of maximum force, impulse is important because it determines the amount of force that an object can withstand over a specific period of time before breaking or undergoing a significant change.

5. How is maximum force and impulse related in physics?

In physics, maximum force and impulse are closely related, as they both involve the application of force to an object. The maximum force that an object can withstand is typically measured by calculating the impulse applied to the object over a specific period of time, using the equation Fmax = Δp/Δt, where Fmax is the maximum force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time over which the force is applied.