Finding Fourier Series for f(x)=2x+e^x-e^-x (-1< x >1)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the Fourier series for a given function. The function in question is an odd function, which can be simplified to 2x+2sinh(x). The conversation also includes tips on integrating by parts and using trigonometric identities to simplify the process.
bhajee
I wondered if someone could help me to find the Fourier series for this function please. I believe it's an odd function.

f(x) = 2x+e^x-e^-x (-1< x > 1)

This is my first post, so I'm going to try this LayTex typing too! Here goes!

[tex]f(x)=2x+e^x-e^-^x[/tex] (-1< x >1)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry!

(-1< x <1) Doh!

You need to evaluate the integral of f(x)sin(pi)nx from -1 to 1. Look it up in an integral table.

Here we are so far (can't get LaTex to work today!)

(e^x - e^-x)/2 = sinh(x)
so
2x + e^x - e^-x = 2x + 2sinh(x)

and for integration by parts
INT u.dv = uv - INT v.du
we have
u=2x+2sinh(x)

du=2+2cosh(x)

dv=sin(j*pi*x)

v=(1/j*pi)*cos(j*pi*x)

how am I going?

Try this: xsinax can be integrated by parts easily enough. For the other term, I would use sinax=(eiax-e-iax)/2i. Then all you have are the integrals of exponentials.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a way of representing a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is named after the mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in mathematics and physics to analyze and approximate functions.

2. How do you find the Fourier series for a given function?

To find the Fourier series for a given function, you need to express the function as a sum of sine and cosine functions using trigonometric identities. Then, you can use the Fourier coefficients formula to calculate the coefficients of each term in the series.

3. What is the period of a Fourier series?

The period of a Fourier series is the length of one complete cycle of the function being represented. In other words, it is the smallest value of x for which the function repeats itself.

4. How many terms should be included in a Fourier series?

The number of terms in a Fourier series depends on the complexity of the function being represented. In general, the more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the original function. However, including too many terms can also lead to overfitting and a less accurate representation.

5. What is the use of a Fourier series in scientific research?

Fourier series have many applications in scientific research, including signal processing, image analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model periodic phenomena.