Designing a truss (working stress method) Missing Info?

In summary, the problem is to design a bridge over a valley 300m wide, with the road surface supported by a truss underneath. The calculation for buckling requires designing the truss for compression such that I > (P. L^2) / (pi^2 x E) or Pcr > P, where I is the reduction value, P is the unfactored load, L is the length, E is the modulus, pi is Pi, and Pcr is the critical load. However, the given information does not include a value for I, only the rest of the variables. It is unclear whether an estimate should be made for I or if the value can be obtained from another method or from knowledge of the
nuadre

Homework Statement

"Design a bridge over a valley 300m wide. Road surface is supported by a truss underneath."

My problem: With calculations
Now calculation for buckling says i need to design the truss for compression such that

I > (P. L^2) / (pi^2 x E )
or Pcr > P
where
I = reduction value
P = unfactored load
L = length
E= modulus
pi = Pi.
Pcr= Critical Load

Now the information I'm given doesn't give me a value for I, just the rest. Not sure what I'm meant to do, just estimate a value and insert it in and do calculations from this or another method or if I'm meant to know the value fro plastic piping (?)
- diameter (can work out effective area)
- modulus
- yield strength
- length

Homework Equations

Sum Fx= 0
Sum Fy= 0
Sum M(hinge) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start, as it doesn't seem to be enough information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not calculate I using your above formula?

I would first clarify with the person providing this problem whether they have provided all the necessary information. If they have, then I would suggest looking into the specific design requirements and guidelines for truss bridges, as well as any relevant engineering codes and standards. From there, I would suggest using the given information to make reasonable assumptions and estimates for the missing values and proceed with the calculations. It would also be helpful to consult with other engineers or experts in the field for guidance and advice.

1. What is the working stress method used for in truss design?

The working stress method is a common approach used in truss design to determine the maximum allowable stress that a truss can withstand. This method takes into account the material properties, such as yield strength, and applies a safety factor to ensure the truss can withstand expected loads without failure.

2. What are the key factors to consider when designing a truss using the working stress method?

The key factors to consider when designing a truss using the working stress method include the material properties of the truss members, the expected loads that the truss will be subjected to, and the safety factor that is applied to the allowable stress. Additionally, the geometry and configuration of the truss must also be taken into account.

3. How do I determine the maximum allowable stress for a truss using the working stress method?

The maximum allowable stress for a truss can be determined by calculating the yield strength of the material and applying a safety factor, typically between 1.5-2, to account for uncertainties in the design and potential variations in the loads. The resulting value is the maximum allowable stress that the truss can withstand without failure.

4. What is the difference between the working stress method and the ultimate strength method in truss design?

The working stress method and the ultimate strength method are two different approaches used in truss design. The working stress method considers the truss to be loaded up to its maximum expected load, while the ultimate strength method considers the truss to be loaded until failure. The working stress method is typically used for more conservative and safer design, while the ultimate strength method may result in a more efficient and lighter truss design.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the working stress method in truss design?

One limitation of the working stress method is that it does not account for sudden changes or fluctuations in the applied loads. This can result in a truss design that is not able to withstand unexpected spikes in loads. Additionally, the safety factor used in the working stress method is based on assumptions and may not be accurate in all cases. Other methods, such as the ultimate strength method, may provide a more accurate and efficient truss design solution.