Astronauts position in reentry capsule

• Thread starter DonManuel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the position of the astronauts in the Gemini capsule is facing backwards due to the large drag experienced during entry, with maximum g-forces of 5 and a lift-to-drag ratio of 0.2. The astronauts are upside-down to mitigate the effects of g-forces on their blood flow, with g-suits helping to prevent pooling in their extremities. This positioning is preferred over having blood pool in their legs, potentially leading to unconsciousness.
DonManuel
I found this diagram of the Gemini capsule, showing the position of the astronauts:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3051/gemini.jpg

I understand that the astronauts are facing back, since drag will be large. Max g's during Gemini's entry were about 5, and L/D ~ 0.2. However, why are they upside-down? Lift will pull blood to their heads, and I always thought this is a big no-no. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a lot about this- but isn't it better to have blood in the head than blood in your legs, for fear of unconsciousness?

My guess would be because the g-forces will pull the blood away from their heads, so this mitigates the g-effect.

Just looking at the diagram, the resultant force on the capsule will be somewhere between the lift and drag vector. If the drag is predominant then the line of action is pretty much perpendicular to the astronaut's body which seems to make sense to me. G-suits help prevent pooling in the extremities and keep it near the core and the brain.

1. How do astronauts position themselves during reentry?

During reentry, astronauts position themselves in a specific orientation known as the "entry attitude". This involves lying on their backs with their knees slightly bent and their arms crossed over their chests. This position helps distribute the G-forces of reentry and keeps the astronauts from being thrown around inside the capsule.

2. Why do astronauts have to be in a specific position during reentry?

The specific position of astronauts during reentry is crucial for their safety and survival. Reentry generates high levels of heat and G-forces, and the entry attitude helps protect the astronauts' bodies from these extreme conditions.

3. How long do astronauts stay in the entry attitude during reentry?

The entry attitude is maintained for the entire reentry process, which typically lasts around 20 minutes. This includes the initial entry into the Earth's atmosphere, the slowing down of the capsule, and the parachute descent to the ground.

4. What happens if an astronaut is not in the proper position during reentry?

If an astronaut is not in the proper position during reentry, they could experience severe injuries or even death. The extreme G-forces and heat generated during reentry can cause the body to go into shock, and the astronaut could also be thrown around inside the capsule, risking head and neck injuries.

5. How is the entry attitude determined for each astronaut?

The entry attitude is determined based on the astronaut's height and weight, as well as the specific spacecraft they are traveling in. Engineers and scientists carefully calculate the optimal position to ensure the safety and comfort of the astronauts during reentry.