Surviving the Worst Physics Curve: A Tale of Struggle and Resilience

In summary, the worst Physics curve you have ever experienced was a C in E&M and a D in Linear Algebra.
rubrix
What is the worst curve your class has gone through?

What is the worst Physics curve you ever had?

20/100 = C (they didn't say what D was) in E&M for me.
10/100 = D, 30/100 = C in Linear Algebra.

P.S. @ staff, sry i couldn't think where the topic would fit better, if there is any feel free to move it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've had frequently had classes and tests in which 60/150 would have gotten you an A.

Im only in high school
But one of my teachers actually took points off of the tests because she said that the average score was too high. My 92 ended up being a B.

It's been a while, but I think one of my upper level E&M midterm average was something like 28/120.

I thought then, and I still think now, giving exams like that is stupid teaching by the professor. A simple typo that counts as just one point, like missing a ^2 or dropping a minus sign, can cost the student dearly in your final grade.

Last edited:
Many, many years ago, I had an EE course on semiconductor devices. The course average was 12%. I sailed through with a high A... 36%.

This was the only course I ever had where the grades were exponentially distributed.

that's ridiculous. wow and i thought the curves at my school were bad

Consider yourself lucky. At my University there is no such thing as a "curve". Regardless of the difficulty, a 4/10 (the passing grade) remains a 4, whether the entire class succeed in getting it or not.
Sometimes there are only 3 people taking a final exam (at upper undergrad courses) and the can 3 fail as it already happened in the past months.

Many years ago at UC Berkeley, the first-year graduate quantum mechanics course mid (or final, I forget) term exam had an average score of 15 out of 100. Grading was quantized in steps of 5.

Bob S

I don't think I've had a course that curved an actual test. Just the final grade. The rest was a mystery.

ice109 said:
that's ridiculous. wow and i thought the curves at my school were bad

exactly. All those ridiculous curve makes makes me think my school isn't that bad after all :lol:

1. What is the "Worst (Physics) curve ever"?

The "Worst (Physics) curve ever" is a term used in physics to describe a theoretical curve that represents the most inefficient and impractical way of achieving a desired result or outcome.

2. How is the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" calculated?

The "Worst (Physics) curve ever" is typically calculated by taking into account various factors such as energy, time, and resources required to achieve a specific outcome and finding the most inefficient combination of these factors.

3. Why is the concept of the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" important?

The concept of the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" is important because it helps scientists and engineers identify and avoid inefficient and impractical methods of achieving a desired result. It also highlights the importance of optimizing resources and processes in order to achieve the best possible outcome.

4. Can the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" can be applied to real-life situations, particularly in fields such as engineering and economics where efficiency and optimization are key factors in decision-making.

5. How can the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" be avoided?

The "Worst (Physics) curve ever" can be avoided by carefully analyzing and optimizing factors such as energy, time, and resources in order to find the most efficient and practical way of achieving a desired outcome. It is also important to continually reassess and improve processes to avoid falling into the "Worst (Physics) curve ever" trap.