Simple exponential multiplication (electron interfernce)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the interference of 2 electrons traveling in opposite directions affects the probability of finding each electron in free space. The solution involves using Euler's formula to show that the interference is given by the sum of the two electron's wave functions. The mistake in the attempt at a solution is corrected, using the identity e^(iθ) = cosθ + isinθ to show that the imaginary terms cancel and the real terms add up.
Moonspex

Homework Statement

Briefly, the question asks to prove how the interference of 2 electrons (travelling in opposite directions as 1-D waves) would affect the probability of finding each electron in free space. My issue has to do with the first step in the solution.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Psi_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{jkx}[/tex]
[tex]\Psi_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{-jkx}[/tex] (Note change in direction)

Hence the interference of these two functions will be given by their sum:
[tex]\Psi_{total}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{jkx}[/tex] [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] · [tex]e^{-jkx}[/tex] (i)
[tex]\Psi_{total}[/tex] = 2[tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] cos (kx) (ii)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how to get (ii) from (i)... thanks for looking!

Physics news on Phys.org
A correction (You put a multiplication sign instead of an addition one. I think that was your mistake):

[tex]\Psi_{total}=\Psi_0(e^{jkx}+e^{-jkx})[/tex]
Use Euler's formula, and just see that the imaginary sine terms cancel, while the real cosine terms add up.

[tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta + i\sin \theta[/tex]

Ah I see! I tend to forget simple steps like that which involve such simple identities. Thanks!
(PS: That was a typo on my part)

What is Simple Exponential Multiplication?

Simple exponential multiplication, also known as electron interference, is a scientific phenomenon where electrons behave as waves and interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark spots on a surface.

How does Simple Exponential Multiplication occur?

This phenomenon occurs when electrons are passed through a narrow slit or double slits. The electron waves diffract and interfere with each other, resulting in a complex interference pattern on a detector screen.

What is the significance of Simple Exponential Multiplication?

Simple exponential multiplication has played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It has also led to advancements in technologies such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators.

Can Simple Exponential Multiplication be observed with visible light?

No, simple exponential multiplication is only observed with particles that have a wavelength similar to the size of the slit or barrier they are passing through. This includes electrons, neutrons, and even molecules, but not visible light.

How does Simple Exponential Multiplication relate to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Simple exponential multiplication is closely related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In this phenomenon, the interference pattern is a result of the uncertainty in the position and momentum of the electrons passing through the slits.