Find resolution and size of telescope dish.

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the resolution of a telescope and calculating the size of its dish based on the shape of the Sun's emission in a plot. The hydrogen line at 21 cm is used and the formula for angular resolution is mentioned. The attempt at solving the problem using modified julian date and obtaining a diameter of 13 m is also mentioned, and the person requests for verification and confirmation.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

From the shape of the Sun’s emission in the plot, estimate the resolu- tion of the telescope (the full width half maximum of the Gaussian shape) and from this calculate the size of the dish.

The sharp bell represents the sun's emission and hydrogen is used as the element (21 cm hydrogen line)

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQ0MqLuFEwp7ZGYyaDdmN3FfMGdxa2tjYnc5&hl=en

Homework Equations

angular resolution= wavelength/diameter

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the x-axis is in modified julian date, I'm not sure if I took the half maximum correctly, as I got around .016 distance in mjd, which means a diameter of around 13 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'd like someone to verify this and also confirm if this is the right way to solve the problem.

1. What is the resolution of a telescope dish?

The resolution of a telescope dish refers to its ability to distinguish fine details in an image. It is typically measured in arcseconds, with smaller values indicating higher resolution.

2. How is the resolution of a telescope dish determined?

The resolution of a telescope dish is determined by the size of the dish and the wavelength of the light it is designed to detect. Smaller wavelengths and larger dish sizes result in higher resolution.

3. What is the size of the dish needed for a certain resolution?

The size of the dish needed for a certain resolution depends on the wavelength of light being detected. For example, to achieve a resolution of 1 arcsecond in visible light, a telescope dish would need to be at least 11 meters in diameter.

4. What is the relationship between dish size and light gathering power?

The light gathering power of a telescope dish is directly proportional to its size. This means that a larger dish can collect more light and produce a brighter image. However, this does not necessarily improve the resolution.

5. Can the resolution of a telescope dish be improved without increasing its size?

Yes, the resolution of a telescope dish can be improved by using advanced technologies such as adaptive optics, which correct for atmospheric distortions, or interferometry, which combines the signals from multiple smaller dishes to simulate a larger one.