Need help remembering a philosopher

• Thread starter sEsposito
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a fascinating story about men awaiting their death by firing squad, and the speaker is seeking help in identifying the philosopher who wrote it. Two possible options are "Men without Shadows" by Jean-Paul Sartre and "The Wall" by Jean-Paul Sartre. The latter is more likely as it is a story rather than a play and is more popular.
sEsposito
I remember reading a pretty fascinating story a few years ago, and I want to recommend it to someone -- but, for the life of me, I cannot remember the philosopher that authored the story.

It was about a few men awaiting their death by firing squad.. I know its probably something everyone remotely interested in philosophy reads, but I just can't remember who wrote it.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of Men without Shadows, a play by Jean-Paul Sartre?

The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre is probably what you're thinking of.

I guess Men Without Shadows touches on similar situations, but The Wall is actually a story, not a play, and is much more popular and widely read, so it's more likely that's what you're thinking of.

1. Who is the philosopher I am trying to remember?

The philosopher you are trying to remember is Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher from the 18th century.

2. What are some of Immanuel Kant's key ideas or theories?

Some of Immanuel Kant's key ideas and theories include his moral philosophy of the categorical imperative, his theory of knowledge and understanding known as transcendental idealism, and his concept of the "unconditioned" or noumenon.

3. How has Immanuel Kant influenced modern philosophy?

Immanuel Kant's work has had a significant impact on modern philosophy, particularly in the fields of ethics, epistemology, and metaphysics. His theories on the nature of reality, human reason, and morality continue to be studied and debated by philosophers today.

4. What are some famous works by Immanuel Kant?

Some of Immanuel Kant's most well-known works include "Critique of Pure Reason," "Critique of Practical Reason," and "Critique of Judgment." He also wrote extensively on topics such as religion, politics, and aesthetics.

5. How did Immanuel Kant's upbringing and background influence his philosophy?

Immanuel Kant's strict religious upbringing and education in the rationalist tradition heavily influenced his philosophy, particularly his ideas about morality and the role of reason in understanding the world. His experiences living in 18th century Prussia also shaped his views on politics and society.