Are You Paying More for Dangerous Instructions in Your Book?

In summary, the new edition of the book is 16 pages shorter, but the content is different. The instructions for making lye in the book were faulty and could be dangerous, while the first edition does not have this flaw.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Two books, same title, same subject, same author.

Two radically different prices:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764574086/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764554964/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The new edition is 16 pages shorter. What are the odds of a book being shortened by exactly 16 pages? But what a savings! Those extra 16 pages cost $4.30 each?

Well, actually, there is a slightly more significant difference in the content than just missing 16 pages. The instructions for making lye in one of the books were faulty and a person following the instructions could be burned.

Any guesses which version contains the faulty instructions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First edition, most likely...

I had a Gutenberg bible but I tossed it out when I got a paperback that had fewer typos in it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I had a Gutenberg bible but I tossed it out when I got a paperback that had fewer typos in it.

lol.

I guess the economics is a strange quirk of collecting. Flawed stamps are more valuable than the properly printed stamps. Flawed light bulbs (twisted filaments, etc) are worth more than properly manufactured light bulbs.

Why don't people collect sensible things, such as slide rules. Flawed slide rules are worth less than a slide rule in near perfect condition, complete with near perfect case and instructions.

Or pens. You don't see pen collectors salivating over flawed pens.

perceived or real rarity due to flaws>nondescript functional object

people aren't utilitarian

G037H3 said:
perceived or real rarity due to flaws>nondescript functional object

people aren't utilitarian

In this case, the book has a special rarity. It was recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

It's hard for the government to recall a book because of First Amendment concerns. The few books that have been recalled are books on home repair that give faulty instructions on how to rewire your home.

The 16-page change is a function of binding. Print the pages in folios, fold, bind and trim.

1. What are the main factors that contribute to the strange economics of books?

The strange economics of books can be attributed to several factors, including the cost of production, distribution, and marketing. Additionally, the demand for books can fluctuate greatly, making it difficult for publishers to accurately predict sales and set prices.

2. Why do some books cost significantly more than others?

The cost of a book is determined by a combination of factors, such as the format (hardcover, paperback, e-book), the length of the book, and the popularity of the author. Books with high demand may also have a higher price due to the principle of supply and demand.

3. How do e-books fit into the strange economics of books?

E-books have disrupted the traditional economics of books by eliminating the costs of printing and distribution. However, they still require investment in editing, marketing, and other aspects of book production. This has led to a debate over the pricing of e-books and their impact on the overall book market.

4. Why do publishers often offer discounts on books?

Publishers often offer discounts on books to attract more buyers and increase sales. This can also help them clear excess inventory or promote new titles. Discounts can also be used as a marketing strategy to encourage readers to purchase more books from a particular publisher or author.

5. How do pricing strategies affect the strange economics of books?

Pricing strategies can greatly impact the economics of books. For example, setting a high price for a book can limit its audience, while setting a lower price can lead to higher sales but lower profits. Additionally, publishers must also consider the potential impact of discounted sales, book bundles, and other promotional offers on their overall revenue.