Triangle Area Based on Segment Division

In summary, From the given information, it can be deduced that triangle DCB is a right isosceles triangle with DC = CB. Using supplementary and Triangle Sum Theorem, it can be determined that triangle ADC is a 30-60-90 right triangle. By assigning x as the length of DC and CB, and using Pythagorean theorem, the length of x can be solved for. From there, the area of triangle BCD can be found using the formula x^2/2.
nolachrymose
Hi all,

I'm working on this problem in my Geometry class, and am having a bit of trouble coming to a conclusion. The problem as given is (I've attached the figure to this thread):

In this figure, <ACD is a right angle. A, B, and C are collinear, <A = 30, and <DBC = 45. If AB = 3 - sqrt(3), find the area of triangle BCD.

From this information, I have deduced that triangle DCB is right isosceles, with DC = CB. Also, since <DBC and <DBA are supplementary (by LPP), <DBA = 135, and thus, by Triangle Sum Theorem, <BDA = 15. Then, by AAP, this means that <CDA = 60, and thus triangle ADC is a 30-60-90 right triangle.

I've gotten to this point, and I know the ratios of this special triangle, but I'm having trouble forming the right equations. I was wondering if anyone could give me a lead onto which I could follow.

Thanks a lot! :)

Attachments

• area.GIF
    area.GIF
    2 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out! :)
For anyone who wants to know how I solved it, this is how I did it:

I assigned "x" as the length DC and CB. Since triangle ADC is a 30-60-90 right triangle, the hypotenuse (DA) must be 2x. Then, using Pythagorean theorem, I derived the following equation:

[itex](2x)^2 - x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
[itex]4x^2 - x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
[itex]3x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
[itex]x\sqrt{3} = x + 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
[itex]x\sqrt{3} - x = 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
[itex]x(\sqrt{3} - 1) = 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
[itex]x = \frac{3 - \sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3} - 1}[/itex]
[itex]x = \sqrt{3}[/itex]

From there, I used x^2/2 = area of triangle BCD, so I got 3/2.

By the way, how do I do multi-line LaTeX equations? I tried using the "\\" symbol, both at the end of the previous line and at the start of the next line, and neither worked? (I ended up using multiple [ itex ] tags to get the effect I wanted.)

Last edited:

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your deductions. To find the area of triangle BCD, we can use the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height of the triangle.

Since triangle BCD is a right isosceles triangle, we know that the base and height are equal. Let's call this length x. Now, to find x, we can use the Pythagorean Theorem.

In triangle ADC, we know that the length of the hypotenuse is 3 - sqrt(3), the length of one leg is x, and the length of the other leg is x * sqrt(3). Using the Pythagorean Theorem, we can set up the equation:

(3 - sqrt(3))^2 = x^2 + (x * sqrt(3))^2

Simplifying this, we get:

9 - 6sqrt(3) + 3 = 4x^2

or

4x^2 = 12 - 6sqrt(3)

Dividing both sides by 4, we get:

x^2 = 3 - (3/2)sqrt(3)

Taking the square root of both sides, we get:

x = sqrt(3 - (3/2)sqrt(3))

Now, we can plug this value of x into our formula for the area of triangle BCD:

A = 1/2 * x * x

= 1/2 * (3 - (3/2)sqrt(3))

= 3/4 - (3/4)sqrt(3)

So, the area of triangle BCD is 3/4 - (3/4)sqrt(3). I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your problem!

What is "Triangle Area Based on Segment Division"?

"Triangle Area Based on Segment Division" is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a triangle into smaller segments and calculating the area of each segment in order to find the total area of the triangle.

What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle based on segment division?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle based on segment division is A = 1/2 * (bh), where A is the area, b is the base of the triangle, and h is the height of the triangle.

How do you divide a triangle into smaller segments?

To divide a triangle into smaller segments, you can use a variety of techniques such as drawing lines from the vertices to the midpoints of the opposite sides, or creating perpendicular bisectors from the vertices to the opposite sides.

What is the purpose of calculating the area of a triangle based on segment division?

The purpose of calculating the area of a triangle based on segment division is to find the total area of the triangle, which can be useful in many real-world applications such as architecture, engineering, and geometry.

Are there any limitations to using the "Triangle Area Based on Segment Division" method?

While the "Triangle Area Based on Segment Division" method can be useful in many cases, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be as accurate as other methods for calculating the area of a triangle, and it may not work for all types of triangles.