Help with population of various isotopes in decay chains (Bateman equations)

In summary, the conversation is about creating a decay chain simulator in Excel for educational purposes. The issue at hand is with the equations needed to calculate the population of each isotope at different stages in time. The example being used is the actinium series uranium decay chain and the equations for Bi-211 and Po-211 have been successfully calculated. However, the equations for Tl-207 and Pb-207 are proving to be more complex. The suggestion is made to look at Bateman's work on the subject, but the individual is unable to access the literature as a teacher. It is also mentioned that a numerical simulation might be a quicker and easier approach.
alby
(Apologies for cross-posting this in the Nuclear and Differential Equations forums. I'm new to posting on Physics Forums and not entirely sure where it belongs. Mods, please feel free to delete/move as appropriate.)

I am trying to create a decay chain simulator in Excel that my pupils can use to create graphs similar to those created by the Nucleonica Decay Engine: the idea being that they can find a decay chain and enter the isotopes and their half-lives and Excel will create the graph.

The problem I'm having is with the equations required to calculate the population of each isotope at each stage in time. My initial approach was far too simplistic and whilst it created correct *looking* graphs, the numbers weren't correct.

As an example, I'm using the last four stages of the actinium series uranium decay chain:
[tex] {}^{211}\mathrm{Bi}\rightarrow {}^{211}\mathrm{Po}\rightarrow {}^{207}\mathrm{Tl}\rightarrow {}^{207}\mathrm{Pb} [/tex]

I can calculate the population of the Bi-211 at time t with:
[tex] N_{Bi}=N_0 e^{-\lambda t} [/tex]

and the population of Po-211 using:
[tex] N_{Po} = \frac{\lambda_{Po}}{\lambda_{Bi} - \lambda_{Po}} N_0(e^{-\lambda_{Bi}t}-e^{\lambda_{Po}t}) [/tex]

The problem is with the equations for the population of Tl-207 and Pb-207. I know I should be looking at Bateman's work on the subject, but as a lowly teacher I can't access the literature.

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay term of NPo is again the source for NTl and with another integration you can get its population - the idea is similar to the derivation of NPo, the equations just get more and more complex. Similar for lead.
A numerical simulation might be easier and certainly quicker.

1. What are Bateman equations and why are they used in decay chain calculations?

Bateman equations are a set of differential equations that describe the rate of change in the population of various isotopes in a decay chain. They are used to calculate the abundance of each isotope at different times in the chain, taking into account the half-life of each isotope and the rate of decay to other isotopes.

2. How do Bateman equations take into account different decay modes of isotopes?

Bateman equations take into account different decay modes by using different rate constants for each decay pathway. For example, if an isotope can decay through both alpha and beta decay, the Bateman equation for that isotope will include two separate terms, each with its own rate constant.

3. Can Bateman equations be used to predict the decay of a specific isotope in a decay chain?

Yes, Bateman equations can be used to predict the decay of a specific isotope in a decay chain. By inputting the initial population of that isotope and the rate constants for the decay pathways, the equations can be solved to determine the population of that isotope at any given time.

4. What is the significance of the Bateman half-life in decay chain calculations?

The Bateman half-life is the time it takes for the initial population of an isotope to decrease by half due to decay. This value is important in decay chain calculations because it is used to calculate the rate constants for each decay pathway, which are then used in the Bateman equations to determine the population of each isotope at different times.

5. Are Bateman equations applicable to all types of decay chains?

Yes, Bateman equations can be applied to all types of decay chains, including simple decay chains and complex decay chains with multiple branching pathways. As long as the rate constants for each decay pathway are known, the equations can be used to calculate the population of each isotope in the chain at any given time.