Calculating Work to Fill a Spherical Tank of Water with Given Parameters

In summary, to calculate the work needed to fill a spherical tank of water with a radius of 14 ft and center 50 ft above the ground, we use the formula W=wpi∫(14^2-u^2)du and integrate from u = 36 - 50 to u = 64 - 50, then multiply the result by wpi.
kari82
Hello, Can someone please give some hints on how to start this problem? I tried a few things but nothing is working!

A spherical tank of water has a radius of 14 ft, with the center of the tank 50 ft above the ground. How much work will it take to fill the tank by pumping water up from ground level? Assume the water weighs 62.4 lb/ft3. Give your answer to the nearest ft · lb.

So this is what I did:

I know that we need to use this formula W=wpi∫x^2deltay

if i take that the center is 50 ft above the ground that means i can use point (0,50) to find x^2 and r=14 (here is where i think I am wrong)

(x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2 ==> x^2=14^2-(y-50)^2
deltay=(28-y)
and we should integrate from y=36 to y=64 because the center of the tank is 50ft above the ground?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track! You have correctly identified the formula, variables, and points you need to solve this problem. The next step is to calculate the integral. To do this, you should use the substitution u = y - 50, so that the integral becomes wpi∫(14^2-u^2)du. Then, you can evaluate the integral from u = 36 - 50 to u = 64 - 50 and multiply this result by wpi.

1. How do you calculate the work required to fill a spherical tank of water?

To calculate the work required to fill a spherical tank of water, you will need to use the formula W = (4/3)πr³ρgh, where W is the work, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the tank, ρ is the density of water (1000 kg/m³), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the water in the tank.

2. What are the given parameters needed to calculate the work required?

The given parameters needed to calculate the work required are the radius of the spherical tank, the density of water, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the water in the tank.

3. Can you explain the formula for calculating work to fill a spherical tank of water?

The formula W = (4/3)πr³ρgh is derived from the formula for calculating work, which is W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In this case, the force is the weight of the water and the distance is the height of the water in the tank. The formula is modified to take into account the volume of water (4/3πr³) and the density of water (ρ) to get the final formula for calculating work to fill a spherical tank of water.

4. How do you convert the units of the given parameters for the formula?

The radius of the tank and the height of the water should be in meters (m), the density of water should be in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³), and the acceleration due to gravity should be in meters per second squared (m/s²). If the given parameters are in different units, you will need to convert them to these units before using them in the formula.

5. Can you give an example of calculating the work to fill a spherical tank of water?

Sure, let's say we have a spherical tank with a radius of 5 meters. The tank will be filled with water to a height of 8 meters. The density of water is 1000 kg/m³ and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s². Plugging these values into the formula W = (4/3)πr³ρgh, we get W = (4/3) x 3.14 x 5³ x 1000 x 9.8 x 8 = 1,030,400 joules. This is the work required to fill the spherical tank with the given parameters.