Calculating Young's Modulus for CopperWhat is the Young's Modulus for copper?

In summary, the questions ask how to calculate the Young's Modulus for copper wire when it reaches its elastic limit. My attempt is Y= Stress/Strain which is equal to 4,000,000,000 and 1.4x10^9. This results in a value of 4x10^9. To reach the elastic limit, a force of 1.4x10^5 would be needed.
pmh118
Got exams in January so just want to make sure I am correct the questions read exactly like this

a) The sample of copper wire reached its elastic limit when the stress is 1.4x10^8 Pa and the strain is 0.035 Calculate the Young's Modulus for copper.

My attempt is Y= Stress/Strain => Y= 140000000/0.035 => 4,000,000,000 => 4x10^9

Hope this part is correct

b) What tensil force would be needed to reach the elastic limit of the copper wire of cross sectional area 1mm sq

F = Force A= Area e= extention Y= Young's Modulus l = lenght

My attempt is F= (A x e x Y) / l => F= (0.001 x 0.035 x 4,000,000,000) / 1 => 140,000 => 1.4x10^5

I took my length as 1m and extention was 0.035m from the original strain = 0.035

not sure if I am right as I have no contact with my lecturures until my exam I ask if somebody could tell me if my work is right or wrong and where I have gone wrong if so

Thx Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
pmh118 said:
Got exams in January so just want to make sure I am correct the questions read exactly like this

a) The sample of copper wire reached its elastic limit when the stress is 1.4x10^8 Pa and the strain is 0.035 Calculate the Young's Modulus for copper.

My attempt is Y= Stress/Strain => Y= 140000000/0.035 => 4,000,000,000 => 4x10^9

Hope this part is correct
yes, but don't forget the units!
b) What tensil force would be needed to reach the elastic limit of the copper wire of cross sectional area 1mm sq

F = Force A= Area e= extention Y= Young's Modulus l = lenght

My attempt is F= (A x e x Y) / l => F= (0.001 x 0.035 x 4,000,000,000) / 1 => 140,000 => 1.4x10^5

I took my length as 1m and extention was 0.035m from the original strain = 0.035

not sure if I am right as I have no contact with my lecturures until my exam I ask if somebody could tell me if my work is right or wrong and where I have gone wrong if so

Thx Paul
Why go through all this when Tensile Stress = Tensile Force/Cross Section Area?

Units?

Check conversion from mm^2 to m^2.

Ah yes I see that F= 140000000 x 0.001

so my answer with units should be F= 1.4x10^5 Pa ?

While I like the SI system in Physics, I don't like it at all in Engineering. Partly because I'm from the USA, and partly because I can't handle all those darn zero's before or after the decimal point.:yuck: Regardless, 1 mm2 is 0.000 001 m2, or 1 X 10-6 m2. Please confirm.

Ah thanks my conversions need a lot of work but now i see 1mm^2 = 1/(1000x1000)

1x10^-6 so my new equation is F = 140000000 x 0.000001 => 140 Pa

Thx all for helping me

A Pa is a stress unit (1 Pa = 1 N/m2). Forces are measured in Newtons. Are you from the contiguous 48?

Ah sorry I am being dumb today, I was thinking a Newton was a Pascal, think maybe I should take a break from this study for a day ;p
and nope not from the contiguous 48 as much as I would love to live there and study at MIT
I am English just got back into studying I am a Carpenter by trade and looking for a new direction been accepted into University if I get this Maths and Physics courses mastered :)

How do you buy apples and bananas, by the pound, kilo, Newtons, or is it stones?:wink:

Well tbh I by per bag :p but when I was just a lad I worked on a fruit stall selling them in lbs but then it all went metric so is kilo now :)

:cool:Cool. The feds have been trying to get us to convert to metric for the past 40 years...we just ignore them... we buy them by the pound...

Best of luck in your studies!

Happy New Year!:smile:

Haha change over its for the best :) thanks for all the help and the nice chat
All the best for new year

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It represents the amount of stress required to produce a certain amount of strain in a material.

2. What is the value of Young's modulus for copper?

Young's modulus for copper is approximately 110-128 GPa (gigapascals). This value can vary slightly depending on the specific type and purity of the copper, as well as the testing method used.

3. How does Young's modulus affect the behavior of copper?

A higher Young's modulus indicates that a material is more rigid and less likely to deform or stretch under stress. In the case of copper, this means that it is a relatively stiff and strong material, making it suitable for use in structural and load-bearing applications.

4. Does Young's modulus change with temperature for copper?

Yes, Young's modulus for copper does change with temperature. Generally, as temperature increases, the modulus decreases, causing the material to become more flexible and less stiff. However, this effect is relatively small for copper compared to other materials.

5. How is Young's modulus for copper determined?

Young's modulus for copper can be determined through various testing methods, such as tensile testing, where a sample of the copper is subjected to stress and strain measurements. This data is then used to calculate the modulus. The exact testing method used can also affect the resulting value of Young's modulus.