Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Yes! You'd love it here, although today is cold and windy...oh what am I saying, it's...*sniffs* damp?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Your neighborhood Do you like your neighborhood. would you consider moving ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I love my neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYR5lwzomE

As sad as it may seem, most of my family thought I was the kids' favorite uncle because my Chuck Norris impressions reminded them of Mr. Rogers. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my neighborhood, quiet, got a stream in a ravine outside my back door. Ducks and squirrels. Close to stores.

BobG said:
I love my neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYR5lwzomE

As sad as it may seem, most of my family thought I was the kids' favorite uncle because my Chuck Norris impressions reminded them of Mr. Rogers. :eek:

Bummer no sound, and has pinched my nerdy cardy, and who the puts one shoe and ties it.

??

BobG said:
Now I *must* hear your impressions! I never watched Mr Rogers, he seemed too creepy.

Evo said:
I love my neighborhood, quiet, got a stream in a ravine outside my back door. Ducks and squirrels. Close to stores.

Wow.you could go on the hunt Duck pie, i don't like duck much thought' may be squirrel pie ?

wolram said:
Wow.you could go on the hunt Duck pie, i don't like duck much thought' may be squirrel pie ?
:eek:

No, they are my *friends*! When they run out of food, they knock on the window. The squirrels, not the ducks.

wolram said:
Your neighborhood Do you like your neighborhood. would you consider moving ?

I don't much like my neighborhood as of late. I've been pilfered 6 times in the last 8 months. 6 times more than in the last 21 years. The activity has dropped off since the ambulance arrived at the neighborhood halfway house. Perhaps the non-rehabilitated heroin junky overdosed. All supposition on my part of course.

I was looking into moving to Norway about a month ago, as it seems to be a nice place to live, but I saw that they required that I study 300 hours of their language to become a citizen. I'm getting a bit tired of learning new languages, so I ixnayed that idea.

Do you have any recommendations?

My neighborhoods are far from my dream but they are okay.

My current one has few cheap stores/groceries nearby, easier to get a bus/subway, and there is big park down few blocks. However, moving bit few blocks up I end up in a poor neighborhood. I don't feel safe going out after 10 PM.

My second place neighborhood is very safe and peaceful. I stay out until 1 or 2 in the morning. However, there are not many good stores nearby.

Ok then.

Bahrain is out.

Last edited:
Evo said:
:eek:

No, they are my *friends*! When they run out of food, they knock on the window. The squirrels, not the ducks.

The ducks put them up to it.

Funny you should ask this question, Wooly, because I just moved into a new neighborhood a couple weeks ago. So far, I really love it. The view is fantastic, Puget Sound, Vashon Island, the Cascade mountains, even Mt Rainier. I'm a block from a great park with a waterfront promenade, miles of forest trails, and a nice zoo. I've heard the traffic can be bad on nice weekends in the summer, but that hardly seems enough to run me out of here.

lisab said:
:rofl:

Funny you should ask this question, Wooly, because I just moved into a new neighborhood a couple weeks ago. So far, I really love it. The view is fantastic, Puget Sound, Vashon Island, the Cascade mountains, even Mt Rainier. I'm a block from a great park with a waterfront promenade, miles of forest trails, and a nice zoo. I've heard the traffic can be bad on nice weekends in the summer, but that hardly seems enough to run me out of here.
Uhm, <lowers head, scuffs toe on floor> can I move in with you lisab?

lisab said:

You should put up some pictures of your new place :smile:

Evo said:
:rofl:

Uhm, <lowers head, scuffs toe on floor> can I move in with you lisab?

Yes! You'd love it here, although today is cold and windy...oh what am I saying, it's not nearly as cold as Kansas...this would probably be like the tropics to you :smile:!

rootX said:
You should put up some pictures of your new place :smile:

I will...I need to clean up a bit first hahaha...

My friend just called. All of my friends that I have made over the last 30 years are meeting on the waterfront in a few hours. I'm invited.

Apparently, the "calm ones" on the planet, see a need to get together, and decide, how we need to proceed.

This should be interesting.

Never mind Woolie. I think I like where I am.

It was all scrap metal junk that they stole anyways.

:smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/editor/smilie.png [Broken]
I hate every one that is better off than me, i have been pushed a into room in a bock of flats
It is quiet around 190 to 015 hrs :grumpy:

I have a nice neighborhood. There are a couple of families that we share a lot of stuff with, and the ones that aren't that chummy at least stay out of your hair and smile and wave when they see us. I spent a lot of days sawing out lumber on a neighbor's sawmill so he could stockpile materials for an addition for his daughter and grand-daughters, then I spent even more days helping to build the addition. I use my tractor to till his garden. He let's me start plants in his greenhouse, and made a mini-greenhouse for my wife and me out of aluminum and salvaged windows. He and his daughter also helped my wife and me build a raised-bed flower garden with stone walls. They also helped us (and provided the cement mixer, molds, sand, and some cement - I bought the rest) to make cast-in-place concrete pavers for paths between the flower beds and the new herb garden that we'll put in this spring. When the neighbor on the other side of me broke the rear universal joint on his plow truck last month, I took my tractor over there and finished his snow-removal. He'll get me back, somehow. That's the way it goes up here on the hill.

The neighbor with the sawmill shares labor, fuel and maintenance costs on a large Ford tractor/backhoe with another neighbor, so I can get some excavation work done for free, if need be. When the Ford was out of commission for a few days, I used my Kubota to move logs and stage them on the rack leading to the sawmill. When I needed to excavate my septic system in preparation for installing a new drain field, that excavation work was done for free. I have helped the owner of that backhoe rebuild motors for his seemingly endless fleet of old trucks and helped him repair his snowmobile engine. He's a darned good welder/fabricator, so when I needed a new rear bumper for my truck, another neighbor who happens to be the fire chief gave me some iron pipe and material for brackets, and the other guy welded me up a new bumper and helped install it. He also welded me up a pair of boat-racks for my truck out of materials that yet another neighbor gave me. He is mechanically skilled, but when he has an electrical problem with one of his trucks or his camper, I show up with my meters and tool-kit. There is a VERY robust underground economy here.

There's no way my wife and I can eat all the food we grow in good years, because we plant enough extra to ride out possible problems like drought and wet and mold. Non-gardening neighbors get free vegetables from us when we have extra. The neighbor with the backhoe is squeamish about gutting out animals, so when he shoots one, he calls me, and I dress it for him, and he sends me home with the heart and liver, and makes sure we get steaks and ground venison, too. The last time around, the neighbor with the sawmill found out that I was going to dress out a deer, and asked me to wait until he could get his little grand-daughters out there to watch. They were fascinated! I showed them the stomach, intestines, kidneys, heart, liver, and lungs. Later, I took them some heart and liver. Unfortunately, their mother is not a good cook, and I think she botched the preparation because the girls were ho-hum about some of the tastiest meat to be found in a deer.

Last edited:
wolram said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/editor/smilie.png [Broken]
I hate every one that is better off than me, i have been pushed a into room in a bock of flats
It is quiet around 190 to 015 hrs :grumpy:

I do have a spare room here. And you wouldn't have to learn much of a new language.

Though I did google "nerdy cardy", and came up with only one other hit besides yours, so you might have to stop making up your own language, if you want to "hang", as we say.

-------------------------
I am going fishing. I am going fishing. I am going...

OmCheeto said:
My friend just called. All of my friends that I have made over the last 30 years are meeting on the waterfront in a few hours. I'm invited.

keep an eye out for marlon brando

My neighborhood is pretty good, its quiet except when the neighbors throw parties, but its all good. Its close to everything: school, stores, mall, parks, Disneyland (though I don't have a pass, its been a while since I have been there). Can't ask for more, I am happy with what I got.

I live between a rock and a hard place. It was ok when I moved here 8 years ago, but now I have a home security system, along with a big protective dog and loaded guns. Too many foreclosed/empty homes paired with no jobs.

Yes, I would move if I thought I could sell my home.

hypatia said:
I live between a rock and a hard place. It was ok when I moved here 8 years ago, but now I have a home security system, along with a big protective dog and loaded guns. Too many foreclosed/empty homes paired with no jobs.

Yes, I would move if I thought I could sell my home.
We're moving in with Lisab, hypatia.

I don't know how much room she has, but I'm willing to chip in for a home addition.

My neighborhood is too crowded and too noisy. Plus, my neighbors seem to think shoveling out a parking space gives you exclusive parking rights for all eternity. I recently got my car keyed because I moved some lawn furniture out of the street to park. This was 5 days after the snow where 90% of the snow had melted.

Evo said:
We're moving in with Lisab, hypatia.

I don't know how much room she has, but I'm willing to chip in for a home addition.

We'll get bunk beds. Evo, you have to sleep on the bottom, though...we don't want any broken bones in the middle of the night.

We're going to have such good times.

OmCheeto said:
I do have a spare room here. And you wouldn't have to learn much of a new language.

Though I did google "nerdy cardy", and came up with only one other hit besides yours, so you might have to stop making up your own language, if you want to "hang", as we say.

-------------------------
I am going fishing. I am going fishing. I am going...

Us Brits, we use, cardi or cardy, for a cardigan.

lisab said:
We'll get bunk beds. Evo, you have to sleep on the bottom, though...we don't want any broken bones in the middle of the night.

We're going to have such good times.
YAY! I am quiet, clean house, and am a good cook. Hypatia is also an awesome cook. Good times!

Oh, and I can do plumbing repairs, carpentry, landscaping... Roof repairs are out, I have vertigo.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:

Apparently, the "calm ones" on the planet, see a need to get together, and decide, how we need to proceed.

This should be interesting.

Never mind Woolie. I think I like where I am.

It was all scrap metal junk that they stole anyways.

:smile:

Turbo you must be the ultimate DIY er.

rootX said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...SL61gWOGIZcRHR2SdUE7Q&cbp=12,135.96,,0,-5.77" :!)

I like how you see distant islands from the backyard of those houses. I occasionally take virtual walks along those roads. I went there in December of 2009.

Ha! When I saw the street address, I recognized it as very near to where I used to inner tube across the river to a big island. But it sure looked as if they'd done a lot of development. And those trees sure grew fast. Then I noticed I was about http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14985...07124&t=h&z=17&panoid=0-qSXnlOTh6GH0sCoke_9Q". :blushing:

OmCheeto said:
Ha! When I saw the street address, I recognized it as very near to where I used to inner tube across the river to a big island. But it sure looked as if they'd done a lot of development. And those trees sure grew fast. Then I noticed I was about http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14985...07124&t=h&z=17&panoid=0-qSXnlOTh6GH0sCoke_9Q". :blushing:

It's beautiful! People who get drive on that road on daily basis are really lucky.

What more interesting is that one of the town near there is named Vancouver while other Walnut Groove. There is also a town named Walnut Groove near BC Vancouver.

wolram said:
Turbo you must be the ultimate DIY er.
If you want something done, chances are that one of us in this neighborhood can take care of it, at least. Yesterday my wife spun out on a steep hill and slid off the road, burying her car in a deep snowy ditch. Another neighbor risked life and limb to bring her back home. After the plow truck went by spreading some salted sand, I took her back there and then returned home to get my tractor. A neighbor came down with me (at earlier than 7am) in driving, freezing rain, to help me get my wife's car out of the ditch, and he supplied a very nice 3-legged load-rated chain sling that helped me get her car GENTLY pulled out of the ditch with my tractor without causing problems. I am on the hunt for something similar, though it seems new slings are about $500 or so. Simple construction, but OSHA load-rating, testing and certification have their costs.

BTW, today, my wife made that neighbor a chocolate pie with graham-cracker crust (his favorite) to say "thanks" for helping. She's not content to let this be a "good old boys" network, and rightfully so.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
If you want something done, chances are that one of us in this neighborhood can take care of it, at least. Yesterday my wife spun out on a steep hill and slid off the road, burying her car in a deep snowy ditch. Another neighbor risked life and limb to bring her back home. After the plow truck went by spreading some salted sand, I took her back there and then returned home to get my tractor. A neighbor came down with me (at earlier than 7am) in driving, freezing rain, to help me get my wife's car out of the ditch, and he supplied a very nice 3-legged load-rated chain sling that helped me get her car GENTLY pulled out of the ditch with my tractor without causing problems. I am on the hunt for something similar, though it seems new slings are about $500 or so. Simple construction, but OSHA load-rating, testing and certification have their costs.

BTW, today, my wife made that neighbor a chocolate pie with graham-cracker crust (his favorite) to say "thanks" for helping. She's not content to let this be a "good old boys" network, and rightfully so.

you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.

wolram said:
you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.
Last month, a young couple bought a vacation get-away house on the road across from our property. After less than a week, my wife went up there to say "hi" and take them a loaf of fresh bread and the guy told her that they had lived in Weymouth, Mass for years in the same place, yet after just a few days, they already knew more people here than back home. This is a really "network-y" area.

I never knew the previous owner very well, but I had his home phone number back in RI, and I'd give him a call if something wasn't right - for instance, some jerk drove all over his lawns last fall, snapping tips of his evergreen trees to make wreaths. That's REALLY bad manners! I didn't see them in the act, just the tire tracks, and a couple of piles of fir tips that they had snapped off and didn't take with them. The new owners manage to be here every weekend. They have snowmobiles, and ITS 87 runs through their property, as it does mine.

<h2>1. What is the concept of "Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood"?</h2><p>The concept of "Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood" is about fostering a sense of pride and connection to the community in which you live. It involves actively participating in and caring for your neighborhood, as well as building relationships with your neighbors.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to love where you live?</h2><p>Loving where you live has numerous benefits, both for individuals and the community as a whole. It can lead to a stronger sense of belonging, improved mental and physical health, and a safer and more vibrant neighborhood.</p><h2>3. How can I get involved in my neighborhood and show my love for it?</h2><p>There are many ways to get involved in your neighborhood, such as joining a community organization, volunteering for local events, participating in neighborhood clean-ups, and attending community meetings. You can also show your love for your neighborhood by supporting local businesses and getting to know your neighbors.</p><h2>4. What are some ways to build a sense of community in my neighborhood?</h2><p>Building a sense of community in your neighborhood can involve organizing social events, creating community spaces, and fostering communication and collaboration among neighbors. It can also involve working together to address common issues and concerns.</p><h2>5. How can I encourage others to love where they live?</h2><p>You can encourage others to love where they live by leading by example and actively participating in your community. You can also share your love for your neighborhood with others and invite them to get involved. Additionally, being a good neighbor and showing kindness and respect towards others can help foster a sense of love and community in your neighborhood.</p>

1. What is the concept of "Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood"?

The concept of "Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood" is about fostering a sense of pride and connection to the community in which you live. It involves actively participating in and caring for your neighborhood, as well as building relationships with your neighbors.

2. Why is it important to love where you live?

Loving where you live has numerous benefits, both for individuals and the community as a whole. It can lead to a stronger sense of belonging, improved mental and physical health, and a safer and more vibrant neighborhood.

3. How can I get involved in my neighborhood and show my love for it?

There are many ways to get involved in your neighborhood, such as joining a community organization, volunteering for local events, participating in neighborhood clean-ups, and attending community meetings. You can also show your love for your neighborhood by supporting local businesses and getting to know your neighbors.

4. What are some ways to build a sense of community in my neighborhood?

Building a sense of community in your neighborhood can involve organizing social events, creating community spaces, and fostering communication and collaboration among neighbors. It can also involve working together to address common issues and concerns.

5. How can I encourage others to love where they live?

You can encourage others to love where they live by leading by example and actively participating in your community. You can also share your love for your neighborhood with others and invite them to get involved. Additionally, being a good neighbor and showing kindness and respect towards others can help foster a sense of love and community in your neighborhood.