Calculating & Using Bending Moments: Cantilevers vs. Euler's Strut

In summary: I have been studying cantilevers and Euler's strut and I don't understand the following:Why for a cantilever the bending moment is positive, and for the Euler strut the bending moment is negative. As far as I can tell two are bending in the same way.Is an Euler strut like a mcphereson strut? If so I don't see how they can be different either. A cantilever is just a bar that sticks out of a wall and a force is applied to the free end. A strut sticks out of a wall and into another wall, but you should be able to replace one of the walls with
thepopasmurf
Would anyone be able to explain how to calculate and use bending moments? I have been studying cantilevers and Euler's strut and I don't understand the following:

Why for a cantilever the bending moment is positive, and for the Euler strut the bending moment is negative. As far as I can tell two are bending in the same way.

Physics news on Phys.org
thepopasmurf said:
Would anyone be able to explain how to calculate and use bending moments? I have been studying cantilevers and Euler's strut and I don't understand the following:

Why for a cantilever the bending moment is positive, and for the Euler strut the bending moment is negative. As far as I can tell two are bending in the same way.

Is an Euler strut like a mcphereson strut? If so I don't see how they can be different either. A cantilever is just a bar that sticks out of a wall and a force is applied to the free end. A strut sticks out of a wall and into another wall, but you should be able to replace one of the walls with the force that the wall exerts, thereby reducing it to the cantilever case. For example for the mcphereson strut you can replace the end where it attaches to the steering knuckle with an applied force equal to the force that the knuckle exerts on the strut.

I'm not familiar with McPhereson struts. They don't appear to be the same. I'm referring to buckling of a thin rod rod under a compressive force (for some reason it's called the Euler strut).

I have been studying cantilevers and Euler's strut and I don't understand the following:

Cantilevers, like other forms of beam, are usually loaded in a direction transverse to the main axis of the beam.
Struts are compression members that should not be subject to transverse loading. the compression loading is along the main axis of the strut.

I suggest you re-read you study material in the light of this information and come back if things are still not clear.

@redx
I am not an automotive engineer but I know that a Mcpherson strut is a complex component that is also subject to torsion and not applicable here.

go well

Last edited:
Hi,

So I have been going over my notes (I also looked at your link). I think I understand it but there is still one thing.

So I am trying to show that the bending moment M= -Fy (See Diagram Attached)

From my diagram you can see that I can get this answer by splitting the strut into two halves, but I would like to get this result by just considering the beam as a whole. My problem with that is that then the moments from both of the end forces cancel out. How do I reconcile this without treating the middle of the beam as some special boundary?

Edit: I should clarify that in my diagram, the moments, M are the moments needed to stop the piece from rotating

Attachments

• P1070645.JPG
    P1070645.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
You have given little away about the level at which you are approaching this and elastic instability (buckling) is not usually studied till well after cantilevers as it requires more detailed mathematical manipulation.

Essentially Euler's method works as follows

Write the differential equation for the moment.

[tex]M = EI\frac{{{d^2}y}}{{d{x^2}}}[/tex]

This cannot be solved directly since M is not a function of x

But noting as in the linked thread that M = axial force x eccentricity and that y is the eccentricity.

[tex]M = EI\frac{{{d^2}y}}{{d{x^2}}} = - Fy[/tex]

There are now several ways to solve this differential equation.

One is to expand and use the integrating factor 2dy

Expand

[tex]EI\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right) = - Fy[/tex]

Multiply through by 2dy

[tex]EI{\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right)^2} = - F{y^2} + C[/tex]

This is now a standard differential equation in x and y.
The constant of integration can be eliminated by noting that at maximum deflection the slope of the curve is zero ie

[tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = 0[/tex]

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
But noting as in the linked thread that M = axial force x eccentricity and that y is the eccentricity.

[tex]M = EI\frac{{{d^2}y}}{{d{x^2}}} = - Fy[/tex]

I accept this. Can I clarify something: for a point on the rod, what do you consider to be the axial force? It seems that it must change when you go past the centre point.

RE my level: I am a physics student and I am comfortable with the physical and mathematical concepts involved except for this one bit

Can I clarify something: for a point on the rod, what do you consider to be the axial force? It seems that it must change when you go past the centre point.

Why do you think this?

The differential equation is derived by considering a free body diagram extending from one end of the member. As you progress towards the other end the forces acting across (at) successive sections are considered. Such a scheme will only ever include the axial load at one end. In general there is a resultant force and moment at any section which ends the free body, balanced by an equal and opposite force and moment supplied by the other part of the member across that section. But we don't include the balancing forces and moments in our reckoning.

1. What is a bending moment and why is it important?

A bending moment is a measure of the internal force that causes an object to bend or rotate. It is important because it helps us understand and calculate the strength and stability of structures, such as cantilevers and Euler's struts.

2. How do you calculate bending moments for cantilevers?

To calculate the bending moment for a cantilever, you need to multiply the force applied to the end of the cantilever by the distance from the point of force application to the fixed end of the cantilever. This will give you the bending moment at that point.

3. What is the difference between cantilevers and Euler's struts?

Cantilevers are structures that are anchored at one end and have a load applied to the other end, while Euler's struts are structures that are supported at both ends and have a compressive force applied to them. Cantilevers are used to support horizontal loads, while Euler's struts are used to support vertical loads.

4. How do you calculate bending moments for Euler's struts?

To calculate the bending moment for an Euler's strut, you need to multiply the compressive force applied to the strut by the length of the strut. This will give you the bending moment at the fixed ends of the strut.

5. Why is Euler's strut more efficient than a cantilever for supporting vertical loads?

Euler's strut is more efficient than a cantilever for supporting vertical loads because it is able to distribute the compressive force along its entire length, while a cantilever can only support the load at its anchored end. This allows for a more even distribution of the load and a stronger overall structure.