Diamond Ring in Front of a Convex Lens?

In summary, the problem is to determine the position and size of an image formed by a 30 cm radius of curvature convex mirror when a 1.5 cm high diamond ring is placed 20 cm in front of it. The magnification of the mirror can be found using the lens maker's formula or by assuming the focal length to be half the radius of curvature.
itsgood819

Homework Statement

A 1.5 cm high diamond ring is placed 20 cm in front of a convex lens whose radius of curvature is 30 cm.

a) What is the position and the size of the image?
b) What magnification does this lens have?

Homework Equations

1/f= 1/di + 1/do
m= -di/do or hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution

the 20 cm is do, and the ho is 1.5 cm. Since it's a lens, I don't know the focal length. I tried using the 1/f= 1/di + 1/do, but I don't any variable besides the do.

How would I solve this problem? Help please, and thank you! Also, I'm new to this forum so my posting might look a bit weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a double convex lens with both sides having the same radius of curvature? If so, you can use the lens maker's formula to figure out the focal length.

Because, the index of refraction of the lens material is not given, I would assume that f=R/2.

thank you for your suggestions! it turns out that my teacher actually meant to put mirror instead of lens.

itsgood819 said:
it turns out that my teacher actually meant to put mirror instead of lens.
Aha! Now the problem makes sense. :wink:

1. What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It causes light rays passing through it to converge, or come together at a point, creating a magnified image. Convex lenses are commonly used in cameras, glasses, and telescopes.

2. How does a convex lens work?

A convex lens works by bending light rays as they pass through it. The curved surface of the lens causes the light rays to change direction, and the thicker middle section causes the rays to converge. This convergence creates a magnified and inverted image of the object being viewed.

3. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and causes light rays to converge, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and causes light rays to diverge. This means that a convex lens creates a magnified image, while a concave lens creates a smaller, virtual image.

4. How is the focal length of a convex lens determined?

The focal length of a convex lens is determined by the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge. It is usually measured in meters or centimeters and is dependent on the curvature and thickness of the lens.

5. What are some common uses for convex lenses?

Convex lenses have many practical applications, including in cameras, glasses, microscopes, telescopes, and magnifying glasses. They are also used in scientific experiments and in various medical devices, such as eyeglasses and contact lenses.