Cyclic Decomposition Theorem

In summary, my professor didn't teach the CDT well, and my intuition told me that the vector space V could be decomposed into k disjoint subspaces that are the null-spaces of each irreducible. I feel this is analogous to the subsets a permutation creates. However, I am not sure if this is the proper intuition or not.
Kindayr
I took an Intermediate Linear Algebra course all last year (two semesters worth) and we covered the CDT. My professor didn't teach it well, and I got my first B- in university because of it (didn't affect my GPA but still irritating).

I didn't understand a lot of the canonical form stuff because I just straight up had a horrible prof who didn't allow us to grow a good conceptual idea of what the hell was happening.

Then today i was reading the beginning of Artin's "Algebra" on groups, its it slapped me in the face and I was awestruck. He was talking about permutations, and the cyclic groups that may come out of them. My mind was blown as soon as I started thinking of the CDT.

So, I'm just hoping for someone to explain it, and hopefully it matches my intuition.

(I may be confusing CDT and RCF, I'm tired and can't think straight, that's why I'm waiting for someone first, unless they ask me for my explanation, then I will explain it tomorrow when I'm rejuvenated)

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright now that I have time to type. This won't be over the top rigourous, just trying to get my ideas onto 'paper'.

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a vector space over a field [itex]\mathbb F[/itex] and let [itex]T[/itex] be a linear operator whose characteristic polynomial factors in [itex]k[/itex] irreducibles over [itex]\mathbb F[/itex]

Basically, my intuition now tells me that we can find a basis so that the matrix representation of [itex]T[/itex] with respect to this new basis is 'prettier' and easier to work with. What I think the CDT tells us is that V can be broken down into [itex]k[/itex] [itex]T[/itex]-invariant subspaces that are disjoint. These subspaces are the null-spaces of each individual irreducible with [itex]T[/itex] substituted in. The basis we want is the union of the bases of these [itex]k[/itex] subspaces.

I feel this, if this is correct (see how badly i was taught it hahahah), is analogous to the subsets a permutation creates. For example, let a permutation [itex]P:12345\to45132 [/itex]. Then we get the cyclic subsets [itex](143)(25)[/itex].

Is this the proper intuition to have? Or am I way off the mark?

Kindayr said:
Alright now that I have time to type. This won't be over the top rigourous, just trying to get my ideas onto 'paper'.

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a vector space over a field [itex]\mathbb F[/itex] and let [itex]T[/itex] be a linear operator whose characteristic polynomial factors in [itex]k[/itex] irreducibles over [itex]\mathbb F[/itex]

Basically, my intuition now tells me that we can find a basis so that the matrix representation of [itex]T[/itex] with respect to this new basis is 'prettier' and easier to work with. What I think the CDT tells us is that V can be broken down into [itex]k[/itex] [itex]T[/itex]-invariant subspaces that are disjoint. These subspaces are the null-spaces of each individual irreducible with [itex]T[/itex] substituted in. The basis we want is the union of the bases of these [itex]k[/itex] subspaces.

No, I'm afraid this is not correct. Something that you describe is in fact the primary decomposition theorem (which is weaker than the cyclic decomposition theorem). For the primary decomposition theorem, we factor the minimal polynomial as

[tex]p=p_1^{r_1}...p_n^{r_n}[/tex]

where the [itex]p_i[/itex]are distinct. Then we indeed take the nullspace [itex]W_i[/itex] of [itex]p_i(T)^{r_i}[/itex]. Then we will indeed have [itex]V=W_1\oplus ... + W_n[/itex].

However, the cyclic decomposition theorem is much harder and I don't think that such a trick will work there.

Ooooooooh that makes sense.

I don't currently have my Friedberg on me, so I wasn't able to look up the actual definitions.

Well I'm definitely retaking that course because I really feel I missed out on a lot of good things. Ughzors.

Thank you though!

The Cyclic Decomposition Theorem is a fundamental result in linear algebra that allows us to break down a matrix into simpler, more easily understood components. It states that any matrix can be decomposed into a direct sum of cyclic subspaces, where each subspace is generated by a single vector that is repeatedly acted upon by the matrix.

This theorem has applications in various areas of mathematics, including group theory and abstract algebra. It allows us to understand the structure of a matrix and its corresponding linear transformation in terms of simpler, cyclic components.

It is unfortunate that your previous professor did not teach this concept well, as it is a crucial topic in linear algebra. However, it is great that you have now found a better understanding of it through your own reading and exploration of the topic.

If you need further clarification or explanation of the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem, I am happy to help. It is important to have a strong understanding of this theorem in order to fully grasp the concepts of linear algebra and its applications. I am glad that you have found a renewed interest in this topic and I hope it continues to inspire you in your studies.

What is the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem?

The Cyclic Decomposition Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that every finite group can be written as a product of cyclic subgroups. This means that any group can be broken down into smaller, simpler groups that are easier to study and understand.

What is a cyclic subgroup?

A cyclic subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is generated by a single element. This means that all elements in the subgroup can be written as powers of the generator, and the subgroup itself is closed under the group operation.

Why is the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem important?

The Cyclic Decomposition Theorem is important because it allows us to simplify the study of groups by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps us to better understand the structure of groups and their subgroups.

How is the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem proven?

The proof of the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem involves using induction on the order of the group and constructing a chain of cyclic subgroups that eventually lead to the entire group. It also relies on the concept of factor groups and their properties.

What are some real-world applications of the Cyclic Decomposition Theorem?

The Cyclic Decomposition Theorem has applications in various areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. It is also used in the study of symmetry and in understanding the structure of molecules. Additionally, the theorem has practical applications in computer science and engineering for efficient data storage and manipulation.