What is the Correct Equation for Deviation by a Thin Prism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Snell's law and its application in deriving an expression for "Deviation by a thin prism". It is noted that the textbook may have used Snell's law incorrectly and there is confusion about the ratio of sine of angle of incidence to the sine of angle of refraction. After researching and discussing with others, it is determined that the textbook did not mention that the refractive index formula only applies in certain cases, leading to confusion.
shr

Homework Statement

This really is not a Homework question, but I guess it fits in here. So, according to snell's law the ratio of sine of angle of incidence to the sine of angle of refraction is a constant called refractive index. But, in our textbook while deriving an expression for "Deviation by a thin prism", Snell's law seems to be used incorrectly. They have written "n = sin (refracted)/sin (incident)", which I do not understand, until now. Probably I'm wrong because I'm just a learner. Do you guys have any idea?

Homework Equations

A scan of the derivation, from our textbook:
1zof3g2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I googled, but did not find anything interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
General expression for Snell's law is
n1*sini1 = n2*sini2 where 1 suffices indicates the incident medium and suffices 2 indicates refracted medium.
Now apply the law to the face AC of the thin prism ABC.

rl.bhat said:
General expression for Snell's law is
n1*sini1 = n2*sini2 where 1 suffices indicates the incident medium and suffices 2 indicates refracted medium.
Now apply the law to the face AC of the thin prism ABC.

RL, I figured it out myself after asking the problem:)

The root of the problem arose from our textbook. They had, at first defined refractive index as "sin i/sin r" but did not mention that it only holds good in the case where a light ray falls from air(n = 1) into another medium. That's where I fell :)

Thanks for your reply.

1. What is deviation by a thin prism?

Deviation by a thin prism refers to the change in direction or bending of a ray of light as it passes through a prism. This phenomenon is caused by the refraction of light, which occurs when light travels through a medium of different density.

2. How does a thin prism cause deviation?

A thin prism is made up of two plane surfaces that are inclined to each other. When light enters the prism, it is refracted or bent towards the base of the prism. Upon exiting the prism, the light is refracted again, but this time away from the base, resulting in a deviation of the light ray.

3. What factors affect the amount of deviation by a thin prism?

The amount of deviation by a thin prism depends on the angle of incidence of the light ray, the angle of the prism, and the refractive index of the material the prism is made of. The greater the angle of incidence or the angle of the prism, the greater the deviation will be.

4. How is the amount of deviation calculated?

The amount of deviation by a thin prism can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

5. What are the applications of deviation by a thin prism?

Deviation by a thin prism is commonly used in optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and spectacles. It is also used in experiments to study the properties of light and to measure the refractive index of different materials.