Method of Pins- Trusses (conceptual)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a bridge and using the method of joints to find the tension in each pin. The bridge must be able to hold 10,000 lbs on each pin and the maximum tension for each member must be determined. The person is checking their answer by placing the weight on pin I and checking for symmetry. The only non-symmetrical tensions are in GH/HK and FH/HJ. The person then mentions their attempt at solving the problem and questions why the entire top truss should have equivalent tensions except for CA and OP. The conversation ends with a question about the possibility of having negative tension values.
giacomh

Homework Statement

I am designing a bridge that looks like this:

http://imgur.com/zFsW7

and using the method of joints to find the tension in each pin. The bridge has to hold 10,000 lbs on each pin, and we have to find the maximum tension in each member (so tension of each member when the weight is on A, then 10,000 B, etc.)

I'm checking my answer by placing the 10,000 lbs on pin I and checking symmetry. (I can't really show work because its in an excel spreadsheet and there are quite a few joints). Every answer is tension is symmetrical except GH/HK and FH/HJ.

Attempt at problem

So, based on summations in the x direction for the pins G and K, GH=DG and HK=KL. So the entire top truss should have equivalent tensions (besides CA and OP)? I don't understand how that works. Will GH=HK no matter where the weight is placed on the bridge?

Physics news on Phys.org
giacomh said:

Homework Statement

I am designing a bridge that looks like this:

http://imgur.com/zFsW7

and using the method of joints to find the tension in each pin. The bridge has to hold 10,000 lbs on each pin, and we have to find the maximum tension in each member (so tension of each member when the weight is on A, then 10,000 B, etc.)

I'm checking my answer by placing the 10,000 lbs on pin I and checking symmetry. (I can't really show work because its in an excel spreadsheet and there are quite a few joints). Every answer is tension is symmetrical except GH/HK and FH/HJ.

Attempt at problem

So, based on summations in the x direction for the pins G and K, GH=DG and HK=KL. So the entire top truss should have equivalent tensions (besides CA and OP)? I don't understand how that works. Will GH=HK no matter where the weight is placed on the bridge?

Just checking - but you mention the tensions in HK for example.
Did you have a "negative Tension" value - indicating it is actually compression in that member?

Yeah, GH, HK, DG, and KL are all compressive

What is the Method of Pins-Trusses?

The Method of Pins-Trusses is a structural analysis technique used to determine the internal forces and reactions in a truss system. It is based on the principle of equilibrium and uses the method of joints and method of sections to analyze the truss.

How is the Method of Pins-Trusses different from other structural analysis methods?

The Method of Pins-Trusses is unique in that it assumes the truss members are connected by frictionless pins at their joints and are only subjected to axial forces. This simplifies the analysis process and makes it easier to determine the internal forces and reactions.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Pins-Trusses?

The Method of Pins-Trusses is a quick and efficient way to analyze truss systems, as it only requires the calculation of axial forces. It also provides a good understanding of the load distribution within the truss and can be used to determine the most efficient truss design.

What are the limitations of the Method of Pins-Trusses?

The Method of Pins-Trusses is limited to truss systems that are statically determinate, meaning that the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of available equations. It also assumes that the truss members behave as perfect pin-connected members, which may not be the case in real-world structures.

How can the Method of Pins-Trusses be applied in real-world situations?

The Method of Pins-Trusses can be applied in the design and analysis of various structures such as bridges, roofs, and towers. It can also be used to determine the load distribution and stability of existing structures. However, it should be used in conjunction with other analysis methods to ensure accurate results.