Calculating Shear Force for an Elastomeric Bearing Pad

In summary, the elastomeric bearing pad is subjected to a shear force V, and the top plate is found to have displaced by d = 12mm. The dimensions of the top pad are a = 150mm by b = 200mm, the thickness (d) is 120mm. The modulus of rigidity G is 2 MPA. The shear stress is t=Gy, and the shear strain is y = d/h. The shear stress is 2000 x 0.1 = 200 Kn. I fear that I have done something wrong because I haven't used the dimensions of the plate. I have a formula which gives the average stress which is stress = v / ab, but if I rearr
donniemateno
Gents and Ladies

I have a question I have been given to work out shear force for.

The question is an elastomeric bearing pad is subjected to a shear force V

the top plate is found to have displaced by d = 12mm

dimensions of the top pad are a = 150mm by b = 200mm, the thickness (d) is 120mm. the modulus of rigidity G is 2 MPA

I have found a formula which is shear stress is t=Gy

y = d/h so 12 / 120 = 0.1

shear stress 2000 x 0.1 = 200 Kn

i fear i have done something wrong because i haven't used the dimensions of the plate. I have a formula which gives the average stress which is stress = v / ab but if i rearrange i get v = ab / stress

Physics news on Phys.org
any help at all ? please :)?

You calculated the shear strain correctly. The shear stress is equal to the shear strain times the shear modulus G. The shear stress should be in units of MPa. In your case the shear stress is 0.2 MPa. The shear force is equal to the shear stress times the area over which the stress is applied. What is the area of the pad? You do know that 1 Pa = 1 N/m2, and that 1 MPa = 1000000 Pa, correct?

so it should by 0.2 x 0.1? for shear stress? = 0.2 * area ( 150 * 200) = 30000 N so would it be 30Kn?

Please be more careful with your arithmetic.

Shear stress = 2 x 0.1 = 0.2 MPa

What is the area in square meters?

What is the stress times the area in consistent units?

Would my 150 and 200 mm become 1.5 and 2? making 3 square meters

No. Do you know the definition of a millimeter (mm)?

yes 1000mm to a meter 10mm to a cm

so my 150 mm and 200mm should be .15 * .2? this times by 0.2 would give me 0.006

Yes. Bu what are the units?

Would this be 6 N? Seems very low. I thought the answer would be more like 6 Kn based on an example I have worked out gpa

No. We already said that 1MPa = 1000000 N/m2. So if you apply the units correctly, you get 6000 N = 6 kN.

Ive been asked to express answer is n not kn. Thank yu for your help :) sorry I am slow

1. What is shear force?

Shear force is the force that acts parallel to a material's cross-sectional area, causing it to shear or slide along its plane.

2. How is shear force calculated?

Shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting on a material in a particular direction, and then determining the amount of force that is parallel to the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What is the difference between shear force and bending moment?

Shear force is the force that acts parallel to a material's cross-sectional area, while bending moment is the force that causes a material to bend or flex around a fixed point. Shear force and bending moment often work together to determine the overall strength and stability of a material.

4. What factors affect shear force?

The amount of shear force a material experiences is influenced by its shape, size, and composition, as well as external factors such as applied loads and environmental conditions.

5. How is shear force used in structural engineering?

Shear force is an important concept in structural engineering, as it helps to determine the overall strength and stability of a structure. Engineers use shear force calculations to ensure that a structure can withstand various forces and remain structurally sound.