Calculate Blood Pressure in Brain 30cm Above Heart - Help Please!

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to calculate the blood pressure in an artery in the brain. They are using a formula and getting a negative answer, but the correct answer is 96.8mmHg. The issue may be with incorrect units and the conversation also mentions using the density of mercury to get the correct answer.
jmandas
Human Pressure! Help Please!

I'm having a difficult time getting this blood pressure problem to work out. Here is the question:
Neglecting the pressure drop due to resistance, calculate the blood pressure in mmHg in an artery in the brain 30 cm above the heart. The pressure at the heartis 120mmHg and the density of blood is 1.05g/cm^3.
The answer in the book is 96.8mmHG but I keep getting a long negative answer!
Here is the formula I'm using:
Pressure in head=Pressure in heart - Height from heart to brain(density of blood)(9.8m/s^2).(may be using wrong formula)

Any help would be great I don't know what else to do?!

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula u're using is correct.I'm sure that u're screwing up the units.It would be okay to use SI-MKgs units.U'll need

[tex] \rho_{Hg}^{1 \ atm,293K}\sim13.595 Kg m^{-3} [/tex]

Daniel.

Yes,i know that,on normal basis,the blood's temperature is not 20°,but ~37°,but using the density of Hg which i gave u,u get the answer ~96.73 mmHg...

Daniel.

1. How is blood pressure calculated in the brain 30cm above the heart?

Blood pressure in the brain is calculated using the formula Mean Arterial Pressure (MAP) = Cardiac Output (CO) x Total Peripheral Resistance (TPR). This calculation takes into account the amount of blood pumped by the heart and the resistance of blood vessels in the body.

2. Why is it important to measure blood pressure in the brain?

Measuring blood pressure in the brain can help diagnose and monitor various health conditions such as hypertension, stroke, and aneurysms. It can also provide insight into the overall health and function of the cardiovascular system.

3. What is the significance of measuring blood pressure 30cm above the heart?

The position of the heart in relation to the brain affects the distribution of blood flow in the body. By measuring blood pressure at a specific height above the heart, we can get a more accurate understanding of the pressure in the brain and its impact on overall health.

4. Are there any risks associated with measuring blood pressure in the brain?

There are minimal risks associated with measuring blood pressure in the brain, as it is a non-invasive procedure. However, in some cases, the procedure may cause discomfort or dizziness due to the pressure applied to the head during the measurement.

5. How can I measure blood pressure in the brain 30cm above the heart at home?

It is not recommended to measure blood pressure in the brain at home without proper training and equipment. This procedure is typically performed by a healthcare professional using specialized tools and should not be attempted at home.