Should I learn Programming or learn to build things?

In summary, many employees prefer to have some programming and engineering experience, as this will give them an advantage over someone who does not. It is possible to get an internship with no technical or programming skills, as long as you are interested in the field and have a passion for it.
Metta
Hi fellas. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I basically wanted to know if it is better to learn programming different languages rather than say building things? The reason I ask is because I want to get an internship by next year and I have no experience with programming or building stuff so which one would you guys recommend? Obviously having a knowledge of either gives one a significant advantage over a person who doesn't. I am in my second year of mechanical engineering if that helps.

Basically do employees prefer one over the other?

Also is it possible to get an internship with zero technical and programming skills?

Physics news on Phys.org
A mechanical engineer will ultimately design or analyze some system, so it is worthwhile to learn programming and perhaps to learn to build or construct things.

Some simple systems, e.g., a heating or cooling system, may be treated with simple or standard calculations. More complicated systems, e.g., turbomachinery, require more complicated simulations.

Does one wish to do design and analysis, or testing and experimental work, or both?

I agree that the correct answer is both. At this point in your career you don't know what you will want to do eventually. Also, in my experience most engineers do at least a little scripting that is required to do simulations or massage data. Therefore, at least one course in programming is mandatory (and as far as I know required in most curricula).

As for the internship, do what interests you the most! Also, do you have any engineering project clubs at your school? At my university we had various car and tractor research competitions that ME students loved to work on (and learned a lot by doing)

I am a third vote for both, I once worked in a plant that made engine control modules, and the engineers and programmers worked very closely with one another. At times, there was a very fine line where an engineer's job ended and the programmer's began.

So the general consensus is both. Thank you all. I have already begun learning to program and so far so good but I don't know where to start as far as building stuff. I looked at the adruino stuff and it's already confused me. Not to mention, I am on a budget. I work full time and attend school full time to support myself and my family.

Anything that I can easily build without buying those lego stuff?

1. Should I learn programming or learn to build things?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the technical side of things and enjoy problem-solving, programming may be a better fit for you. However, if you are more hands-on and enjoy building physical objects, learning how to build things may be a better choice.

2. Which one is more in demand in the job market?

Both programming and building skills are in high demand in the job market. However, the demand for programming skills is increasing rapidly in various industries, including technology, healthcare, finance, and more.

3. Can I learn programming and building skills at the same time?

Yes, you certainly can. In fact, having a combination of both skills can make you a more versatile and valuable candidate in the job market. Many projects involve both programming and building, so having knowledge in both can be beneficial.

4. Is one skill more difficult to learn than the other?

Both programming and building skills require time and effort to develop. The difficulty level may vary for each person, depending on their natural abilities and interests. It's important to choose the skill that you are more passionate about and willing to put in the effort to learn.

5. Can learning these skills be useful in other areas of my life?

Absolutely! Learning programming and building skills can have many practical applications in your daily life. For example, knowing how to code can help you automate mundane tasks, while building skills can come in handy for DIY projects or home repairs.