Learn Programming Through Source Code Examples: Tips and Tools

In summary, the best way to learn programming is by reading and understanding other people's source-code, which can be found on websites such as Planet Source Code and Programmer's Heaven. While journals may also publish source-code, they are not as readily available. It is important to note that source-code and algorithms are not the same thing. The best way to improve programming skills is through practice.
kant
I am new to programming( I done a quarter on C, but that s it). i had heard that the best way to learn about programming is by reading and understanding other peoples source-code( bill gate) . Are there any website i could go to do just that? Reading other peoples source-code?

another questions( related):

There seem to be some type of academic journals for every academic subject you can imagine these days. Are there any journals where professionals or academic programmers publish source-code to unique problems?( something similar to "mathematical intelligencer" etc..?)

A trival question:

is "source-code" also called "Algorithm" in computer science?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
j thing that better way to learn C is to write by your own a programs. U can pattern on the other source-code or fine a book or a course with codes.

the best way to learn code is by example. And recode...but to start off you should go through certain startup tutorials liek those outta a textbook. for online just type Tutorials in C++ or C

And no, source-code is not algorithm. Algorithm is theorectical process of computing something. Like Factoring, Triangulation, Collision Detection, GameFrame etc, NeuralNet Activation, Sorting & Searching

The best way to learn programming is by doing. There is no other substitute.

www.planet-source-code.com
It let's you download 5 source codes each day for free. But you can simply delete your cookies at your browser and keep on downloading more codes as long as you wish :D

http://www.programmersheaven.com/
Is also a good choice.
I usually surf those pages when I need to know the capabilities of a programming language better. In other word I go there to see what other people are doing with compilers. Don't advice you to use them for learning purposes. I'm with dduardo, though he is the only penguin in the world who is not smiling. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I would say the best way to learn to program is by example of others work. However, the best way to learn how to program WELL is practice practice practice practice practice...

1. What is the purpose of "Learn Programming Through Source Code Examples: Tips and Tools"?

The purpose of this resource is to provide individuals with a hands-on approach to learning programming through real-life examples and practical tips. It also offers a variety of tools to aid in the learning process.

2. How can this resource help me learn programming?

This resource offers a unique approach to learning programming by providing real-world examples and tips that can help individuals understand complex concepts and apply them in their own projects. The included tools also make it easier to practice and reinforce learning.

3. Do I need any prior programming experience to use this resource?

No, this resource is suitable for both beginners and more experienced programmers. It offers a gradual learning curve, starting with basic concepts and building up to more advanced topics.

4. Are there any specific programming languages covered in this resource?

This resource covers a wide range of programming languages, including popular ones such as Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. It also includes examples in multiple languages to demonstrate how different languages can be used to achieve the same result.

5. Can I use this resource to prepare for a programming job?

Yes, this resource can be a valuable tool for preparing for a programming job. It offers practical examples and tips that can help individuals develop the skills and knowledge needed to excel in a programming role.