Choosing graphing calculator

In summary: Any suggestions of TI84SE apps that can help w/ calculus,trig,physics, and chem?There are a few apps that can help with these topics. One app, called "Algebra for the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition," can help with algebra and trigonometry. Another app, "Calculus on the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition," can help with calculus.
rock4christ
Help me decide. I want something that can help w/ calculus,trig,physics,statistics(not an absolutely necessary feature) and chem(not sure what features would be added to help this, but if you know then do tell) and allowed on SAT/ACT.

any ideas

Computer science news on Phys.org
The TI89 would be an excellent choice (although a little pricey). And its also allowed on the SAT, But according to CAAP'a website, ACT does not allow TI89.
Prohibited calculators include all calculators in all of the following series:

* Casio CFX-9970G (including, for example, CFX-9970GE)
* Casio Algebra fx 2.0
* Hewlett-Packard HP-40G
* Hewlett-Packard HP-49G
* Texas Instruments TI-89
* Texas Instruments TI-92 (including, for example, TI-92 Plus)
http://www.act.org/caap/sample/calc.html

Would a TI-84 Plus do what I need

Well, as per your requirements, you need it to help you with calculus. Only a calculator with CAS (computer algebra system) will do the job. The TI84+ lacks this. There are probably unconventional methods or 3rd party programs which enable you to so this, but I don't know of any, nor do its possible becuase it lacks a CAS.

On a second note, I remember using my old ti83+ to help me with integrals. The most I could do was plot the equation then attempt to find the area under it. It only gives numerical answers, which is useless when you are asked to do otherwise.

EDIT: I found this link. Which tells you how do some calculus functions. But as you can see it is severely limited as it can only do definite integrals and some other minor functions.

Last edited:
any CAS calculators that are allowed an both SAT and ACT, and are 8xp files compatible on said calculator

Keep in mind though, that a calculator is only as smart as the person operating it. You should learn the calculus and understand it before you start using your calculator to "help."

z-component said:
Keep in mind though, that a calculator is only as smart as the person operating it. You should learn the calculus and understand it before you start using your calculator to "help."

I agree 100%, I refuse to use a calc as a stupidity crutch, but it speeds things up ALOT

rock4christ said:
any CAS calculators that are allowed an both SAT and ACT, and are 8xp files compatible on said calculator

It looks like ACT doesn't allow any calculator with a built in CAS.

If you're willing to wait a bit and plonk down a bit more cash for an on-the-edge calculator, may I suggest the TI-Nspire CAS? Seems like it comes out Q2 this year or so, but the screenshots and press coverage looks pretty decent.

Ive decided on the TI-84 Plus, anything i need to know for linking(says it comes w/ a cable on amazon, is that all i need? and is there a specific folder structure or anything like that?)

All you need is the linking cable and the TI connect software. This software sets up everything for you. It also allows you to drag and drop files from your computer to the calculator.

ranger said:
All you need is the linking cable and the TI connect software. This software sets up everything for you. It also allows you to drag and drop files from your computer to the calculator.
will the software come with the 84?

getting an 84 silver

I'm getting a ti 84+ Silver edition.

any suggestions of TI84SE apps that can help w/ calculus,trig,physics, and chem?

You can go here and look for apps.

ive got some stuff from there, I am looking for specific suggestions

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graphing calculator?

When choosing a graphing calculator, you should consider the types of functions and equations you will be graphing, the available memory and storage, the size and portability of the calculator, and any additional features such as 3D graphing or programming capabilities.

2. Which brand of graphing calculator is the best?

The best brand of graphing calculator is subjective and depends on personal preference and needs. However, some popular and highly rated brands include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. It is important to research and compare different models from different brands to find the one that best suits your needs.

3. Are there any specific graphing calculators recommended for certain fields of science?

Yes, there are certain graphing calculators that are recommended for specific fields of science. For example, the TI-84 Plus is commonly used in high school and college level math and science courses, while the TI-Nspire CX CAS is popular among engineering and physics students for its advanced graphing and programming capabilities.

4. Do I need a color screen on my graphing calculator?

The decision to have a color screen on your graphing calculator is based on personal preference and the types of graphs and equations you will be working with. Color screens can make it easier to differentiate between multiple graphs and add clarity to complex equations, but they also tend to be more expensive.

5. Can I use my graphing calculator on standardized tests?

Most standardized tests have specific guidelines and restrictions on the types of calculators that can be used. It is important to check with the testing organization to see if your graphing calculator is allowed. However, many graphing calculators have a "test mode" feature that disables certain functions and makes them acceptable for use on standardized tests.