Solving Lens Makers Formula: Image Location @ 500cm o, f=50cm

In summary, the concave mirror with a focal length of 50 cm will produce an image at a distance of 55.56 cm from the mirror when an object is placed 500 cm in front of it.
jpartdq

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a focal length of f=50 cm. If an object is at o=500cm, where is the image?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/o + 1/i

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50 = 1/500 + 1/55.56

What I don't understand is "where is the image"? How do I interpret it from my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
jpartdq said:

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a focal length of f=50 cm. If an object is at o=500cm, where is the image?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/o + 1/i

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50 = 1/500 + 1/55.56

What I don't understand is "where is the image"? How do I interpret it from my solution?

You have found the value of 1/i =1/55.56 therefore i=55.56 in other words the image is 55.56 cm from the mirror.

The image location can be determined by solving for "i" in the equation 1/f = 1/o + 1/i. Plugging in the given values of f=50cm and o=500cm, we get 1/50 = 1/500 + 1/i. Solving for "i" gives us an image location of 55.56cm. This means that the image is located 55.56cm away from the concave mirror, on the same side as the object. The image will be inverted and smaller in size compared to the object.

What is the lens maker's formula?

The lens maker's formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the image location of an object placed at a certain distance from a lens with a known focal length. It is expressed as 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens.

What is the significance of the image location in lens maker's formula?

The image location is the distance between the lens and the image formed by the lens. It is an important factor in determining the quality and characteristics of the image, such as its size, orientation, and magnification.

How is the lens maker's formula used in practical applications?

The lens maker's formula is used in various fields such as optics, photography, and astronomy to calculate the image location and size of an object. It is also used in designing and manufacturing lenses for different purposes.

What are the limitations of the lens maker's formula?

The lens maker's formula assumes that the lens is thin and has a symmetrical shape. It also assumes that the object distance is much larger than the focal length of the lens. These assumptions may not hold true in all situations, leading to errors in the calculated image location.

How can the lens maker's formula be improved?

The lens maker's formula can be improved by taking into account the thickness and shape of the lens, as well as the effects of refraction and aberrations. More advanced formulas, such as the Abbe sine condition, have been developed to provide more accurate results in complex situations.