Decay of a D Meson to K[SUP]+[/SUP] and [tex]\Pi[/tex][SUP]-[/SUP]

In summary, the problem involves drawing Feynman diagrams and finding decay rates for three different decays involving the D0 particle. The weak force coupling constant g is given as 10^-5, and there are additional factors associated with the Cabbibo matrix. The first decay involves c \rightarrow d and the W+ decaying to u and anti-s, while the second and third decays involve c \rightarrow s and the W+ decaying to u and anti-d. The specific probabilities of these decays are determined by the CKM matrix. The total decay rate for the first decay is affected by the square of the coupling constants gcu and guanti-s, while the second and third decays have the same decay rate due
Ajihood

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have been given the problem of drawing the feyman diagrams and finding the decay rates for the two decays:

D0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] K+ + [tex]\pi[/tex]-

and

D0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] K- + [tex]\pi[/tex]+

D0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]- + [tex]\pi[/tex]+

Homework Equations

The coupling constant g = 10^-5 for the weak force. But we have quarks changing so we have sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]c and cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]c facotrs associated with the cabbibo matrix. We take [tex]\vartheta[/tex]c = 12.7 degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem drawing the feynman diagram for the second decay, with c [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] s and the W+ decaying to u and anti d. This has a coupling constant

The problem is with the first equation. I can get it if I have c [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] d and then W+ decaying to u and anti s.

This is my problem. Can W+ decay to a u and anti-s. All the examples I find on the net have W boson decaying to a quark and anti-quark in the same generation... Can I do this?

I can get the third decay easy, but it is the same as the second with W+ decaying to u and anti-d. It just worries me it is so similar.

So am I on the right track?

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, that can happen. You can draw a vertex involving the W boson and any two quarks (subject to charge conservation, of course). It's just that the vertices involving two quarks in the same generation are overwhelmingly more likely; that's probably why people talk about them the most.

The specific probabilities of the different quark combinations at a weak interaction vertex are given by the CKM matrix.

Thanks Diazona. I just wanted to double check that, as I have never seen an example of that occurring!

Also, since I have a c [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] u and W+ [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] u + anti-s I have two vertices for the decay D0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] K+ + [tex]\pi[/tex]-. This means the total decay rate will depend on the square of the coupling constants gcu and guanti-s multiplied togther.

But because of the CKM matrix gcu = gwsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]c and guanti-s = gwsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]c. Where gw is given to be 10^-5

So the total decay rate for D0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] K+ + [tex]\pi[/tex]- ~ g2cug2uanti-s = (gwsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]c)2

Is this right?

Thanks

Almost. Keep in mind that the charm quark can't decay to an up quark directly, because of charge conservation, so you should probably go back and take another look at your Feynman diagram. But other than that, I believe you have the right idea.

Sorry, I just want to get this clear, as I am pretty sure I have it right but I think I am misunderstanding what you just meant.

My Feynman diagram has a c [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] d and in that process it emits a W+. This W+ then decays to a u and anti-s. I thought charge is conseved overall in this. I wish I could show you my diagram! (also the anti-u is unaffected in the decay and continues across)

Yep, that sounds correct. The way your previous post was phrased, I thought you were talking about a charm quark decaying directly to an up quark and a W+. So your diagram sounds right after all.

1. What is a D meson?

A D meson is a type of subatomic particle that contains a charm quark and an anti-down quark. It is one of the many types of mesons, which are particles made of a quark and an antiquark.

2. How does a D meson decay to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]-?

A D meson can decay into a K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]- through a weak interaction process. This process involves the transformation of a charm quark into an up quark, producing a K+ meson, and the transformation of an anti-down quark into a down quark, producing a [tex]\Pi[/tex]- meson.

3. What is the significance of the decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]-?

The decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]- is an important process to study in particle physics. It helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of subatomic particles. It also provides clues about the nature of matter and antimatter and the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists study the decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]-?

Scientists study the decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]- by colliding particles at high energies in particle accelerators. They observe the resulting particles and their properties using detectors, and analyze the data to understand the decay process and its underlying mechanisms.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]-?

Understanding the decay of a D meson to K+ and [tex]\Pi[/tex]- can have various applications in fields such as high-energy physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It can also have practical applications in developing new technologies, such as medical imaging techniques and materials science.