Positon and Momentum Wavefunctions: Normalizability?

In summary, the position and momentum wavefunctions are Fourier transform pairs. If a particle has a perfectly defined position wavefunction Psi(x) = delta(x-x0), then its momentum wavefunction is a single exponential wave with an imaginary argument. This function is not normalizable, meaning that if the position is known exactly, the momentum cannot be known at all. This can be confirmed by taking the Fourier transform of the given position wavefunction.
MadMike1986

Homework Statement

The position and momentum wavefunctions are Fourier transform pairs. If a particle has a perfectly defined position wavefunction Psi(x) = delta(x - x0), then what is its momentum wavefunction? Is this function normalizable?

Homework Equations

Fourier transform relation (Can't figure out how to use the latex inputs to write this out)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to take the Fourier transform of a dirac delta "function"... I believe this is just a single frequency sine or cosine wave, but I only think this based on intuition from what the Fourier transform means.

As far as if this function is normalizable, I'm not really sure what is meant by that. Does that mean you take the integral over all space (or in this case all momentums) of the wavefuntion squared and set it equal to 1?

Any help/advice on this would be much appreciated. Its been a while since I've studied quantum.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

You're basically right. The Fourier transform of the dirac delta will give a single momentum wave (an exponential with an imaginary argument), and the question as to whether it's normalizable is equivalent to asking whether it is square-integrable.

nnnm4 said:
You're basically right. The Fourier transform of the dirac delta will give a single momentum wave (an exponential with an imaginary argument), and the question as to whether it's normalizable is equivalent to asking whether it is square-integrable.

Thanks for the help.

The integral of (sin(x))^2 dx from negative infinity to infinity does not converge, therefore it is not square integrable and not normalizable.

My intuition is telling me that this means if you know the position exactly, then you can't know what the momentum is at all. Is this correct?

MadMike1986 said:
Thanks for the help.

The integral of (sin(x))^2 dx from negative infinity to infinity does not converge, therefore it is not square integrable and not normalizable.

My intuition is telling me that this means if you know the position exactly, then you can't know what the momentum is at all. Is this correct?

Your intuition is correct. The details you are showing are all wrong. The momentum wavefunction is a function of the momentum 'p'. Not the position 'x'. Why don't you actually try to find the momentum wavefunction corresponding to the position wavefunction delta(x-x0) and see if it confirms your intuition?

Dick is of course correct, and sin^2(p) isn't even the relevant function here. The Fourier integral is trivial and you should do it out.

1. What is the significance of normalizability in position and momentum wavefunctions?

The concept of normalizability is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular position or with a specific momentum. It ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in all possible states is equal to 1.

2. How is normalizability related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the precise position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Normalizability plays a role in this principle as it ensures that the wavefunction is limited in space, and therefore, the particle's position is confined. This confinement leads to an uncertainty in momentum and vice versa.

3. Can a non-normalizable wavefunction exist?

No, a non-normalizable wavefunction cannot exist as it would violate the basic principles of quantum mechanics. A non-normalizable wavefunction would have an infinite probability, which is not physically possible.

4. How is normalizability affected by the shape of the wavefunction?

The shape of the wavefunction does not affect its normalizability. As long as the wavefunction is continuous and square-integrable, it can be normalized. However, the shape of the wavefunction does affect the uncertainty in position and momentum, as well as the energy states of the particle.

5. How do we ensure that a wavefunction is normalizable?

In order to ensure normalizability, the wavefunction must satisfy the following conditions: it must be bounded, continuously differentiable, and square-integrable. This means that the wavefunction must approach zero as the position goes to infinity, it must have no discontinuities, and its integral over all space must be finite. If these conditions are met, the wavefunction can be normalized using mathematical techniques.