Rotation about a fixed axis problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a block attached to a hoisting mechanism and the calculation of its vertical acceleration. The conversation also mentions the use of different pulleys and a motor to drive the mechanism. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem but is not able to find the correct solution. They request for assistance and provide more information.
Rob K
Hi guys I was trying not to post this as it is difficult to understand without the diagram, but I will try and give you a visual. Basically there are 2 pulleys attached together on the one pivot, the larger one is driven by a belt that is driven by a motor. The inner pulley is used to hoist the weight.

Homework Statement

Figure 3 shows a block A attached to a hoisting mechanism which consists of two
drums of radii r1 = 0:4 m, r2 = 0:8 m, ¯xed at O and which have a combined mass
of m1 = 100 kg and a radius of gyration about O of kO = 0:5 m. If a constant force
P = 1:5 kN is applied by the power unit, which consists of a pulley of radius r3
attached to a motor, determine the vertical acceleration of block A. The cord from
the motor to the drum is at an angle 40± to the horizontal. Block A has a mass
m2 = 300kg.

Homework Equations

I = mk2

+CCW [itex]\Sigma[/itex]Mo = Io[itex]\alpha[/itex]

+[itex]\uparrow[/itex][itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = m(ag)x

+CCW a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 100kg * (0.5m)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 25kg.m2

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Mo
T(0.4m) = (25 kg.m2[itex]\alpha[/itex]

+[itex]\uparrow[/itex][itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = m(ag)x
-300(9.81)N + 1500sin40N + T = - 300a

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]0.4

I worked out [itex]\alpha[/itex] to be 5.56, or 24. something. Basically after 20 odd hours, I have given up, there is something clearly very wrong and missing, and between me and 2 other people we don't know where to go from here.

The answers are as follows
[[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0:312 rads/s2CW, T = 2980:5 N, a = 0:125 m/s2.]

Please help.

Kind Regards

Rob K

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help with this?

Do I need to provide some more information?

Try to attach a picture. And explain your notations. What do you mean by ":"? Is it for decimal point? ehild

Last edited:

1. What is rotation about a fixed axis problem?

Rotation about a fixed axis problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object as it rotates around a fixed axis. This can be applied to various scenarios such as a rotating wheel, a spinning top, or a swinging pendulum.

2. How do you determine the angular velocity of an object in a rotation about a fixed axis problem?

The angular velocity of an object in a rotation about a fixed axis problem can be determined by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. This is represented by the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the moment of inertia in a rotation about a fixed axis problem?

The moment of inertia in a rotation about a fixed axis problem is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around the axis of rotation. The moment of inertia is represented by the symbol I and is measured in units of kg·m².

4. How does torque affect the motion of an object in a rotation about a fixed axis problem?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. In a rotation about a fixed axis problem, torque can change the angular velocity of an object. The net torque acting on an object is equal to the product of the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration, represented by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving a rotation about a fixed axis problem?

When solving a rotation about a fixed axis problem, it is important to keep in mind the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of an object remains constant if there are no external torques acting on it. It is also important to understand the relationship between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration, as well as the equations for rotational kinematics and dynamics. Additionally, it is crucial to accurately identify the axis of rotation and consider any external forces or torques acting on the object.