Pursuing a Graduate Degree in Math: Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker has recently graduated college with a major in economics and a high GPA. However, their interests have shifted towards mathematics, particularly geometry and topology. They have not taken any math courses in college, but have self-studied advanced undergraduate books on analytical geometry. The speaker is interested in pursuing a math program in graduate school, but is unsure of their chances due to lack of evidence to prove their mathematical ability. They have received advice to check the entry requirements for prospective universities and to gain more experience through coursework and research.
andreigustav
i just graduated college majoring in economics having a 3.85 GPA
problem is my interests have shifted to maths particularly geometry and topology
i didnt take any such math courses in college but i have read extensively most of the advanced undergrad books on analytical geometry.
now i really want to get into a math program in grad school but i think my chances are slim since i don't have any evidence to prove my mathematical ability to pursue a masters or phd.

any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey andreigustav and welcome to the forums.

Have you checked out your prospective universities that you are interested in for entry requirements?

My guess is that you will face a lot of competition especially from people who have not only done grad level courses in their undergraduate program, but also people with any kind of research experience.

It might help if you find out requirements like whether you have to do the math GRE or have a significant number of high level coursework in pure math (analysis, topology, etc).

It will also help if you have any good letters of recommendation as well as finding out (equally importantly) how much weight they carry depending on the person and the department they are in.

I don't know if you can get in, but answering these questions in my opinion will get you much closer to an answer.

i agree your chances at a decent school are probably very slim as it stands now. however if you truly want to pursue math, you can increase those chances over the next year or two by taking classes and finding a professor to research with.

andreigustav said:
i didnt take any such math courses in college but i have read extensively most of the advanced undergrad books on analytical geometry.

Could you let us know the textbooks you have been working with? It might help us give you better advice regarding your level of preparation.

Congratulations on graduating with a high GPA in economics! It is understandable that your interests have shifted towards math, specifically geometry and topology. Pursuing a graduate degree in math can be a challenging but rewarding decision.

Firstly, it is important to note that having a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for graduate studies. While you may not have taken any math courses in college, self-studying and reading advanced undergraduate books can demonstrate your interest and dedication to the subject. However, it would be beneficial for you to take some undergraduate math courses or participate in math-related activities to strengthen your mathematical skills and knowledge.

Additionally, it would be helpful for you to reach out to math professors or researchers at universities you are interested in and discuss your background and interest in pursuing a graduate degree in math. They may be able to provide guidance and advice on how to improve your chances of being accepted into a math program.

Another option could be to enroll in a post-baccalaureate program in math. This program is designed for students who have a non-math undergraduate degree but want to pursue a graduate degree in math. It will provide you with the necessary coursework and preparation for graduate studies in math.

Overall, my advice would be to continue studying and building a strong foundation in math, reach out to professors and researchers, and consider enrolling in a post-baccalaureate program to improve your chances of being accepted into a math graduate program. It may also be helpful to highlight your dedication, passion, and self-motivation in your application to showcase your potential as a successful graduate student in math. Good luck!

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in math?

There are several benefits to pursuing a graduate degree in math. Firstly, it can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, finance, and research. Additionally, a graduate degree in math can provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, as well as advanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It can also lead to higher salaries and job security in the long run.

2. What is the typical application process for a graduate program in math?

The application process for a graduate program in math typically involves submitting standardized test scores (such as the GRE), transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a writing sample or an interview. It is important to carefully review the specific requirements for each program and to start the application process early.

3. How important are undergraduate grades for admission to a graduate program in math?

While undergraduate grades are certainly an important factor in the admissions process, they are not the only factor. Graduate programs also consider standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, some programs may take into account relevant work experience or extracurricular activities. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of admission.

4. What can I expect from a graduate program in math?

A graduate program in math typically involves advanced coursework in areas such as abstract algebra, real analysis, and mathematical modeling. Students may also have the opportunity to conduct research and work on a thesis or dissertation. Additionally, many programs offer teaching or research assistant positions, which can provide valuable experience and funding.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a graduate degree in math?

My advice would be to carefully research different programs and their requirements, and to start preparing early. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to continue to challenge yourself academically. Networking with professors and other professionals in the field can also be beneficial in terms of finding opportunities and gaining insight into the industry. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from current or former graduate students in math programs.