Understanding Perturbations in Cellular Aging: A Biophysical Model

• Thread starter zezima1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary: But the point is that the solutions do approach the point and they do have an effect on the other variable.
zezima1
Long story short:
I'm writing a project om modelling cellular aging in biological tissue from the principle that cells have to stay alive as long as possible without help from stem cells (biophysics).

Now the model of the amount of cells fluctuates around a steady state until stochastic fluctuations make it decline rapidly.

To describe this (I think) my article introduces something called pertubations. What are they, would it be possible that they were used to describe stochastic behaviour, and does anyone know a good link to read about them? :)

Biology news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:
Long story short:
I'm writing a project om modelling cellular aging in biological tissue from the principle that cells have to stay alive as long as possible without help from stem cells (biophysics).

Now the model of the amount of cells fluctuates around a steady state until stochastic fluctuations make it decline rapidly.

To describe this (I think) my article introduces something called pertubations. What are they, would it be possible that they were used to describe stochastic behaviour, and does anyone know a good link to read about them? :)

The term is mainly used in physics to describe inducing a small change in a stable system's parameter(s) in order to study the effect. I don't think the term is used very much in biology although "perturbations" of a sort are certainly undertaken in experimental biology.

Since any experimental alteration in a stable system for the purpose of studying the effect is a very general and widely used tool, I don't think a specific reference is going to be of much use except as an example. Your own experimental model would seem to be such an example. The general idea is to disturb the system just enough to measure some effect without causing the system to break down. Measuring how robust a system is under deformation, seeing how long it will take to re-establish its equilibrium or some new equilibrium, and by what means are some objectives of perturbative methods and theory.

Last edited:
In nonlinear dynamics of biology, we would treat the homeostatic point as a "stable focus" and the threshold beyond which the system fails us would be an "unstable limit cycle". It is basically a dot in the middle of a circle. The dot attracts solutions towards it, the circle pushes solutions away from it (so solutions inside the circle get smaller, solutions outside get bigger). Imagining the potential energy analogy, it would mean that you basically have a huge bowl inside of a mountain with a ball in it. Small perturbations of the ball inside the bowl, and it just comes back to the bottom of the bowl, but a sufficient perturbation and you knock the ball over the walls of the bowl and it flies faster and faster down the mountain outside, until it reaches the bottom, at a much lower state than the bottom of the bowl (having significant biological effects in the whole organism).

Image592.gif

There's actually a slight difference with the mountain analogy. Solutions don't have to swirl around as the approach the point. In biological systems, we are generallly plotting two variables against each other that do make a deterministic cycle, so the motion will be circular like in the flow diagram.

Last edited:

1. What is cellular aging?

Cellular aging is the process of gradual and irreversible changes in cells that occur as we age. These changes can lead to functional decline and an increased risk of age-related diseases.

2. What are perturbations in cellular aging?

Perturbations refer to disruptions or disturbances in the normal functioning of cells. In the context of cellular aging, perturbations can occur due to various factors such as genetic mutations, environmental stressors, and metabolic changes.

3. How can a biophysical model help in understanding perturbations in cellular aging?

A biophysical model is a mathematical representation of the physical processes involved in cellular aging. By simulating the effects of different perturbations on the model, scientists can gain a better understanding of how these disruptions impact the aging process at a cellular level.

4. What are some common perturbations that can affect cellular aging?

Some common perturbations that can impact cellular aging include oxidative stress, telomere shortening, and inflammation. These perturbations can be caused by factors such as poor diet, exposure to toxins, and chronic diseases.

5. How can understanding perturbations in cellular aging lead to potential treatments?

By studying the effects of different perturbations on cellular aging, scientists can identify potential targets for treatment. For example, if a specific perturbation is found to accelerate the aging process, developing therapies to mitigate its effects could potentially slow down the aging process and reduce the risk of age-related diseases.