Where can beginners learn shop skills?

In summary: Learned on the job.In summary, if you are interested in learning to construct things, MAKE magazine is a great resource to check out. They have a wide variety of projects and events that are likely near you. You can also look into getting formal training from community colleges.
Opus_723
Wasn't sure where the best place to ask this would be, but I feel like the Engineering forum is my best bet.

Lately I've been interested in constructing my own physics demos. I've managed to slap together a few sad-looking contraptions, but they're really kind of pathetic, and involve a lot of glue. I've quickly run up against a wall concerning my lack of any sort of shop skills. I'm a complete beginner. I'd feel confident hammering a nail, and that's about it. So I've become really interested in learning some practical skills. But all of my school's metalworking classes are only available to engineering majors, and the woodworking classes are only available to art majors. I looked at the local community colleges, but the tuition is too steep for me. So where else can a complete newbie go to learn how to actually build things? I don't have the money to buy my own equipment, and I certainly want at least some formal training so I don't kill myself. But I have no clue where to even start.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
Wasn't sure where the best place to ask this would be, but I feel like the Engineering forum is my best bet.

Lately I've been interested in constructing my own physics demos. I've managed to slap together a few sad-looking contraptions, but they're really kind of pathetic, and involve a lot of glue. I've quickly run up against a wall concerning my lack of any sort of shop skills. I'm a complete beginner. I'd feel confident hammering a nail, and that's about it. So I've become really interested in learning some practical skills. But all of my school's metalworking classes are only available to engineering majors, and the woodworking classes are only available to art majors. I looked at the local community colleges, but the tuition is too steep for me. So where else can a complete newbie go to learn how to actually build things? I don't have the money to buy my own equipment, and I certainly want at least some formal training so I don't kill myself. But I have no clue where to even start.

Check out the resources and tutorials at MAKE magazine:

http://makeprojects.com/

I've been impressed with the wide range of projects and the quality of some of them.

They also have a series of "Maker Faire" events in many locations. If one comes to a city near you, it's worth having a look:

http://makerfaire.com/

http://techshop.ws/

If you happen to live near one of these, you can join and use all they have. They offer required classes as well, so you can operate the tools safely.

I got my shop skills two ways. I made friends with lots of people who had extensive home shops. Some were fully equipped machine or carpenter shops. I volunteered to help them with their projects. Built air boats, engines, furniture. Did auto body work, welding, gun smithing, and casting. Then I got part time jobs in several machine shops.

I understand the importance of having practical skills in order to construct and test scientific demonstrations. I commend you for recognizing your lack of shop skills and being proactive in seeking out ways to improve them. It is unfortunate that your school's metalworking classes are only available to engineering majors and woodworking classes to art majors. However, there are other options available to you.

Firstly, have you considered reaching out to your school's engineering or art departments and explaining your situation? They may be able to make an exception and allow you to take the classes. Alternatively, you could ask if there are any workshops or clubs within the school that offer shop skill training. This could be a more informal and cost-effective way to learn.

Another option is to look for community workshops or makerspaces in your area. These are shared workspaces where individuals can access tools and equipment for a fee. They often offer classes and workshops for beginners, and you may be able to find one that specifically focuses on shop skills.

If you are unable to afford the tuition at a community college, you could also look into online courses or tutorials. There are many resources available on YouTube and other websites that offer step-by-step instructions for various shop skills. While this may not provide the same level of hands-on experience, it can still be a valuable learning tool.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of learning from experienced friends, family members, or mentors. If you know someone who is skilled in metalworking or woodworking, ask if they would be willing to teach you some basic skills. This can be a great way to learn in a more personalized and cost-effective manner.

In conclusion, there are many options available for beginners to learn shop skills. It may require some research and creativity, but with determination and a willingness to learn, you can acquire the practical skills you need to construct impressive physics demonstrations. Best of luck in your learning journey!

1. What are some good resources for beginners to learn shop skills?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn shop skills. Some popular options include online tutorials, community college courses, workshops at local makerspaces, and instructional books or videos.

2. Are there any specific tools or equipment I need to have in order to learn shop skills?

It depends on the specific skill you are trying to learn. Some basic tools that are useful for many shop skills include a hammer, saw, drill, and measuring tape. It's best to research the specific skill you want to learn and determine the necessary tools and equipment from there.

3. Can I learn shop skills without any prior experience?

Yes, absolutely! Many people start learning shop skills with no prior experience and become very proficient with practice and dedication. It's important to start with simple projects and gradually work your way up to more complex ones.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when learning shop skills?

Safety is a crucial aspect of learning shop skills. It's important to always wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and closed-toe shoes. Familiarize yourself with the safety guidelines for each tool and equipment you use, and never hesitate to ask for help or guidance if you are unsure about something.

5. How long does it typically take to learn basic shop skills?

The time it takes to learn basic shop skills can vary depending on the individual and their dedication to practicing and improving. It's best to start with simple projects and gradually work your way up, which could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.