Register to reply

Photon propagator

Share this thread:
praharmitra
Jun15-12, 08:40 PM
P: 311
So I want to calculate the quantum massless photon propagator. To do this, I write
[tex]
A_\mu(x) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_p}} \left( \epsilon_\mu^i (p) a_{p,i} e^{-i p \cdot x} + { \epsilon_\mu^i} ^* (p) a_{p,i}^\dagger e^{i p \cdot x} \right)
[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon_\mu^i(p),~ i = 1,2[/itex] are appropriate basis polarizations in the gauge we choose to work in. I then calculate the propagator, which is defined as [itex] \left< 0 \right| T \left\{ A_\mu(x) A_\nu(y) \right\} \left| 0\right>[/itex]. Using the above formula, I calculate this. I get
[tex]
\left< 0 \right| T \left\{ A_\mu(x) A_\nu(y) \right\} \left| 0\right> = \int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{i}{p^2 + i\epsilon} \left( \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p)\right) e^{-i p \cdot (x-y)}
[/tex]
To complete this calculation, I now have to show (in the general [itex]\xi[/itex] gauge),
[tex]
\sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu} + \left( 1 - \xi \right) \frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{p^2}
[/tex]
This last step is where I am getting stuck. I know that this is the classical propagator for the photon in the general [itex]\xi[/itex] gauge. But how do I relate that to the polarizations exactly? Also, I know that for on-shell photons, (with [itex]p^2 = 0[/itex]), the polarization sums give
[tex]
\sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu}+ \frac{p_\mu {\tilde p}_\nu + {\tilde p}_\mu p_\nu}{p \cdot {\tilde p}}
[/tex]
where [itex] {\tilde p}^\mu = (p^0, - \vec{p}) [/itex]. I have no clue how to extend this for off-shell photons.

Any help?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply