Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator

In summary, a small brushed DC motor will generate a small amount of power if turned quickly, but will not produce enough power to run a device like a workstation LED light.
u-zara
I was wondering whether there was any literature on brushed DC motors used as a generator or whether you know anything of the sort? I know that DC motors behave differently when used as a generator instead of a motor. However I have not been able to find anything about it so I was wondering whether there is any information about it? Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yes you could if you can spin it fast enough. But you notice how hard it is to spin the big ol thing? wouldn't produce to much power. you can make it power your workstation LED lights

look up "dynamo"

in general there is no difference between a DC generator and DC motor

a small permanent magnet motor will make near its nameplate volts and amps if you turn it in its operating range

if it's a wound field motor it needs to be provided with field current

there's plenty of tutorials about at many levels of sophistication, let a search engine be your friend.

jim hardy said:
look up "dynamo

a small permanent magnet motor will make near its nameplate volts and amps if you turn it in its operating range"

My experience is a little bit different.
Small motors are maybe 50% efficient.
So if a small motor is being used as a generator, it's output is 50% of nameplate and efficiency is 50%, then output is only 25% of nameplate.
Above is based on tests of only one motor/generator.

I used my dremel to test my brushed motor. 8000rpm it makes about 4volts. @35000 rpm it made 11 volts

pickerguy said:
I used my dremel to test my brushed motor. 8000rpm it makes about 4volts. @35000 rpm it made 11 volts

how much field was on it?

jim hardy said:
how much field was on it?

not sure how to test for the field

how many terminals does it have?
what does it do if you apply 11 volts (12 probably close enough)?

There's two basic formulas for DC machines

Volts = k X flux X rpm
where k is a constant for the motor's physical design
flux is magnetic field inside, either from a permanent magnet or the combination of all its field windings
rpm is of course rpm

Torque = 7.04 X k X flux X Iarm
k same as determined from open circuit speed test (which you did with Dremel)
flux same as above
Iarm is current through armature

If it has only one terminal, try connecting a lamp to it while spinning with dremel. If voltage goes up, lamp lights and dremel slows down, it's a series field
if voltage collapses it may have a defective field.

its a vintage titan motor. has 2 terminals pos & neg. Cant read the lable any more on it.

What is a Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator?

A Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator is a type of electric motor that can also operate as a generator. It uses brushes and a commutator to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion and vice versa.

How does a Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator work?

When the motor is supplied with electricity, the brushes and commutator create a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor, causing it to spin. When the motor is turned by an external force, it generates electricity through the same process.

What are the advantages of using a Brushed DC Electric Motor as a Generator?

One advantage is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a relatively high torque and can produce a steady output of electricity. Additionally, it can be used in a wide range of applications.

What are the limitations of a Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator?

One limitation is that the brushes and commutator can wear out over time and require maintenance. It also has a lower efficiency compared to other types of generators. Additionally, it may produce electrical noise and require a separate voltage regulator.

What are some common applications of a Brushed DC Electric Motor Used as a Generator?

Brushed DC Electric Motors Used as Generators are commonly used in small appliances, power tools, and automotive applications. They are also used in renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and hydro turbines.