Angular velocity of object after being subjected to torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using integration to find the net angular acceleration and resultant change in angular velocity in a process involving torque. The person asking for help is unsure of how to do the necessary mathematics and seeks further clarification on the topic.
serverxeon
34j6hjm.png

In particular I am only looking at part c.

I know the simpler approach is to use energy.

But I am thinking if i can do an integration of all the torque throughout the process, and hence find the integration of the net angular acceleration and find the resultant change in angular velocity.

But I have no idea how to do the mathematics. Can anyone show me how the mathematics is done?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi serverxeon! :smile:
serverxeon said:
… if i can do an integration of all the torque throughout the process, and hence find the integration of the net angular acceleration and find the resultant change in angular velocity.

But I have no idea how to do the mathematics. Can anyone show me how the mathematics is done?

τ = Iα …

torque (of the weight) = 1/3 ML2 d2θ/dt2 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi serverxeon! :smile:

τ = Iα …

torque (of the weight) = 1/3 ML2 d2θ/dt2 :wink:

hey thanks for the help.

sorry but I still don't know how to go on from here!

could you elaborate a bit further!

In particular I was looking at using the 'infinitesimal' dτ or dα approach.

serverxeon said:
In particular I was looking at using the 'infinitesimal' dτ or dα approach.

there is no dτ or dα in this situation :confused:

use torque (of the weight) = 1/3 ML2 d2θ/dt2

what is the torque? (as a function of θ)​

I would first commend you on your critical thinking and exploration of different approaches to solving a problem. Both the energy approach and the integration approach have their merits and can lead to a better understanding of the system.

In regards to your question about how to perform the mathematics for the integration approach, it would depend on the specific system and the torque function. In general, the net torque can be calculated by adding up all the individual torques acting on the object. This can be represented by the equation:

Στ = Iα

Where Στ is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and α is the angular acceleration. To integrate this equation, you would need to have a function for the torque as a function of time, and then use calculus to find the change in angular velocity over a certain time interval. This would involve finding the integral of the torque function with respect to time, and then using that value to solve for the change in angular velocity.

However, this approach may not always be practical or feasible, as it would require knowledge of the torque function and the ability to perform the necessary mathematical calculations. In many cases, the energy approach may be simpler and more straightforward. It would be important to consider the specific system and the desired level of accuracy in determining which approach would be more appropriate.

I hope this helps to clarify the mathematics behind the integration approach for finding the change in angular velocity after being subjected to torque. Keep exploring and questioning different methods to deepen your understanding of scientific concepts.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point.

What is torque?

Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or fixed point.

How is angular velocity affected by torque?

The angular velocity of an object is directly proportional to the torque applied to it. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate.

What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity in radians per second, Δθ represents the change in angular position, and Δt represents the change in time.

How does the direction of torque affect angular velocity?

The direction of torque determines the direction of the resulting angular velocity. If the torque is applied in the same direction as the rotation, the angular velocity will increase. If the torque is applied in the opposite direction, the angular velocity will decrease.