Is there a way to reduce no load power in a wireless cell phone charger?

• Thread starter oso0690
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit for a wireless cell phone charger and a problem with the circuit drawing power when the phone is not connected. Various solutions are suggested such as using a timer or implementing a PWM with feedback. The importance of reducing charging current to protect the battery when it is full is also mentioned.
oso0690
Hey guys, I've been building a circuit for a wireless cell phone charger. It's nearly completed but I don't know how to stop the circuit from drawing any power from its source when the phone is not 'connected'. It actually draws more power when it's not. How do I go about creating a circuit to fix this?

EDIT: Not vampire power. I need to know how to reduce no load power.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A few pieces of garlic!:rofl:

Seriously, we don't know anything about your circuit! you need to post your circuit so we can look at. Short of this, a few pieces of garlic might work just as well!

You want the charger to sense when the phone is placed on it correct?

It seems to me that a timer would suit your needs. Spend most of your time in "stand by" with your excitation off, but the timer running. Then, upon wake up of the timer, actuate your excitation source and look for signs of back EMF from your load. If your BEMF detector spies a phone, then disable the timer.
Even if you come up only once a second to check, the hesitation will be unnoticeable to anyone not familiar with it.

Averagesupernova said:
You want the charger to sense when the phone is placed on it correct?

Exactly.

Garlic solution is hilarious lol.

@Mike In Plano - I'll see how a timer works out. Even 1s checks would work much better than no checks at all!

Oh, here's a circuit schematic attached.

*BTW, does the simulator account for effective resistance in a coil?

Attachments

• Circuit Schematic.png
    Circuit Schematic.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 507
What is your frequency of oscillation and how much is your charging current?

Last edited:
You are running open loop, with a set pulse width. You are pumping and pumping with a square wave with close to 50% duty cycle regardless of the load! The transformer or the transistor must be getting hot when nothing plug into it. You need a PWM with feedback so when you don't have a load, the pulse width becomes so low you don't draw power!

Look into Linear Technology site, they have small, cheap DC to DC converter IC that you can build a circuit from. They might not be 100% oscillation free, but for charging cell phone, don't worry about it.

BTW, You missed one very important thing, you need to reduce the current charging to protect the battery when it is full. I am not familiar with battery charging, someone here with experience can give you advice on this.

Last edited:
yungman said:
You are running open loop, with a set pulse width. You are pumping and pumping with a square wave with close to 50% duty cycle regardless of the load! The transformer or the transistor must be getting hot when nothing plug into it. You need a PWM with feedback so when you don't have a load, the pulse width becomes so low you don't draw power!

Look into Linear Technology site, they have small, cheap DC to DC converter IC that you can build a circuit from. They might not be 100% oscillation free, but for charging cell phone, don't worry about it.

BTW, You missed one very important thing, you need to reduce the current charging to protect the battery when it is full. I am not familiar with battery charging, someone here with experience can give you advice on this.

Thanks for the reply, I looked into reducing the current charging when the battery is full. My team had assumed that the battery would not accept anymore current when it is full. I found some answers that seem to make sense here:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...harged-battery-when-you-continue-to-charge-it

skeptic2 said:
What is your frequency of oscillation and how much is your charging current?

Frequency is 170 kHz and I'm charging at 100 - 200 mA

1. What is vampire power?

Vampire power, also known as standby power or phantom power, refers to the energy consumed by electronic devices even when they are turned off or in standby mode. This power is used to keep the device's clock running, maintain network connections, and be ready for immediate use.

2. Why is it important to reduce vampire power?

Reducing vampire power is important for both environmental and economic reasons. It not only contributes to global energy consumption and carbon emissions, but also leads to unnecessary electricity costs for households and businesses.

3. How much energy do devices consume in vampire power mode?

The amount of energy consumed by devices in vampire power mode varies depending on the type and age of the device. On average, it can range from 5-10 watts for small devices like chargers and clocks, to 50-100 watts for larger devices like televisions and game consoles.

4. What are some ways to reduce vampire power?

There are several ways to reduce vampire power, such as unplugging devices when not in use, using power strips with on/off switches, and purchasing energy-efficient devices with low standby power consumption. It is also important to educate yourself and others on the importance of reducing vampire power.

5. Are there any drawbacks to reducing vampire power?

Reducing vampire power may lead to inconvenience for some people, as it requires more effort to unplug devices and turn off power strips. Additionally, some devices may require constant power for certain features, such as remote controls for televisions. However, the benefits of reducing vampire power far outweigh these minor inconveniences.