Proving the Equation a-(-a)=a+b in an Additive Group

• Thread starter Tyler.Smith
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that a-(-a)=a+b, we can use the axioms of a general group and the definition of additive inverse. This proof depends on which set and axioms are being used, but it can be shown using the properties of the internal composition law and the existence of an identity element and inverse elements. Additionally, based on the theory of abelian groups, the identity and inverse elements are unique.
Tyler.Smith
Well as the subject states... How does one prove that a-(-a)=a+b ?

If "a" is any number
"b" is a positive number, being "-b" its corresponding negative

Physics news on Phys.org
With these seemingly trivial questions about the fundamentals of algebra, it is essential to use only the axioms and already established deductions. So you'll need to post those as "relevant equations".

As haruspex says, how you would prove this depends upon what axioms you have to use. If this is a general group, you are asking to prove that "the additive inverse of the additive inverse of a is a".

b is the "additive inverse of a" if and only if a+ b= 0 and b+ a= 0. c is the additive inverse of b if and only if b+ c= c+ b= 0. Play around with those equation to arrive at "a= c". You might need the easily proved result that 0 is its own additive inverse.

But you use the term "number: so perhaps this is to be for a specific set of numbers. In that case, how you would prove this depends upon which set and which axioms you are using. For example are you to use Peano's axioms for the integers?

Hello, I followed your advice, and use some axioms and deductions that had already established. I do not know if it is correct

Demostracion
I have a group G, which has an internal composition law ∘, satisfies the following axioms.
1. a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c, ∀a,b,c∈G
2. ∃e∈G : e+a=a-e=a
3. ∀a∈G ∃a⁻¹∈G : a+a⁻¹=e

.I'm going to try to prove that if a is an element of G and its corresponding opposite is -a
.Then -(-a)=a (ie, the opposite of the opposite, leaves unaltered the element)
.Indeed, by definition
a+(-a)=0
.Therefore it is evident that the corresponding opposite of -a is a (Since the sum of them results in zero)

.Therefore, we can write -(-a)=a

.Then
a-(-b)=a+[-(-b)]=a+b
Q.E.D?

---------------------------------------------------
if you want, I can write complete axioms and deductions.
-----------------------------------------------------

HallsofIvy said:
As haruspex says, how you would prove this depends upon what axioms you have to use. If this is a general group, you are asking to prove that "the additive inverse of the additive inverse of a is a".

b is the "additive inverse of a" if and only if a+ b= 0 and b+ a= 0. c is the additive inverse of b if and only if b+ c= c+ b= 0. Play around with those equation to arrive at "a= c". You might need the easily proved result that 0 is its own additive inverse.

But you use the term "number: so perhaps this is to be for a specific set of numbers. In that case, how you would prove this depends upon which set and which axioms you are using. For example are you to use Peano's axioms for the integers?

Hello, I followed your advice, and use some axioms and deductions that had already established. I do not know if it is correct

Demostracion
I have a group G, which has an internal composition law ∘, satisfies the following axioms.

.I'm going to try to prove that if a is an element of G and its corresponding opposite is -a
.Indeed, by definition
a+(-a)=0
.Therefore it is evident that the corresponding opposite of -a is a (Since the sum of them results in zero)

.Then
a-(-b)=a+[-(-b)]=a+b
Q.E.D?

Tyler.Smith said:
Demostracion

.Indeed, by definition
a+(-a)=0

.Then
a-(-b)=a+[-(-b)]=a+b
Q.E.D?

Yes. Your axiom 3 is is using multiplicative notation instead additive. I'd write it as ∀a∈G ∃(-a)∈G : a+(-a)=0. And for 2 substitute 0 for e. So sure, since a+(-a)=0, an inverse -(-a) of (-a) is a. That's almost Q.E.D. If you want to go whole hog on this your axioms don't explicitly state that the identity or inverses are unique. I'm not sure if you are expected to prove that or not.

Dick said:
Yes. Your axiom 3 is is using multiplicative notation instead additive. I'd write it as ∀a∈G ∃(-a)∈G : a+(-a)=0. And for 2 substitute 0 for e. So sure, since a+(-a)=0, an inverse -(-a) of (-a) is a. That's almost Q.E.D. If you want to go whole hog on this your axioms don't explicitly state that the identity or inverses are unique. I'm not sure if you are expected to prove that or not.

Hello, I made the corrections you mentioned, and based on the theory of abelian group, I try to prove that the identity element and inverse element are unique. I think that maybe i got it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a group G, which has an internal composition law ∘, satisfies the following Axioms.
A1 a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c, ∀a,b,c∈G
A2 ∃0∈G : 0+a=a+0=a
A3 ∀a∈G, ∃(-a)∈G : a+(-a)=(-a)+a=0

..Theorem 1 - Identity element, in G, is unique.
Proof: If 0 and f are two identity elements of G. Then:
0=0+f (A2)
0=f (A2)

..Theorem 2 - Inverse element, in G, are unique
Proof: If (-a) and (-a)′ are two inverses of an element a of G. Then:
(-a)=(-a)+0 (A2)
(-a)=(-a)+[a+(-a)′] (A3)
(-a)=[(-a)+a]+(-a)′ (A1)
(-a)=0+(-a)′ (A3)
(-a)=(-a)′ (A2)
--------------------------------------------
Now I'm going to try to prove that if a is an element of G and its corresponding opposite is (-a)
Then: -(-a)=a (ie, the opposite of the opposite, leaves unaltered the element)
.Indeed, by definition
a+(-a)=0
.Therefore it is evident that the corresponding opposite of (-a) is a (Since the sum of them results in zero)

Therefore, we can write -(-a)=a
.Then
a-(-b)=a+[-(-b)]=a+b
Q.E.D?

Tyler.Smith said:
Hello, I made the corrections you mentioned, and based on the theory of abelian group, I try to prove that the identity element and inverse element are unique. I think that maybe i got it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a group G, which has an internal composition law ∘, satisfies the following Axioms.
A1 a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c, ∀a,b,c∈G
A2 ∃0∈G : 0+a=a+0=a
A3 ∀a∈G, ∃(-a)∈G : a+(-a)=(-a)+a=0

..Theorem 1 - Identity element, in G, is unique.
Proof: If 0 and f are two identity elements of G. Then:
0=0+f (A2)
0=f (A2)

..Theorem 2 - Inverse element, in G, are unique
Proof: If (-a) and (-a)′ are two inverses of an element a of G. Then:
(-a)=(-a)+0 (A2)
(-a)=(-a)+[a+(-a)′] (A3)
(-a)=[(-a)+a]+(-a)′ (A1)
(-a)=0+(-a)′ (A3)
(-a)=(-a)′ (A2)
--------------------------------------------
Now I'm going to try to prove that if a is an element of G and its corresponding opposite is (-a)
Then: -(-a)=a (ie, the opposite of the opposite, leaves unaltered the element)
.Indeed, by definition
a+(-a)=0
.Therefore it is evident that the corresponding opposite of (-a) is a (Since the sum of them results in zero)

Therefore, we can write -(-a)=a
.Then
a-(-b)=a+[-(-b)]=a+b
Q.E.D?

Q.E.D. Looks fine to me. BTW you didn't use that the group is abelian. I think you meant 'additive group'.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Q.E.D. Looks fine to me. BTW you didn't use that the group is abelian. I think you meant 'additive group'.

Finally -"Q.E.D"-. Thanks for the feedback & help!

1. What is the concept behind the equation A-(-b)=a+b?

The equation A-(-b)=a+b is based on the concept of adding the opposite of a negative number to another number. This is known as the additive inverse property, which states that the sum of a number and its opposite is always equal to zero.

2. How can this equation be proven?

This equation can be proven using basic algebraic principles. By combining like terms and performing operations on both sides of the equation, you can show that the equation is true. For example, if you subtract a from both sides of the equation, you will end up with -(-b)=b, which is true by the definition of the additive inverse property.

3. Can this equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate changes in temperature or elevation, as well as solving for unknown quantities in equations involving addition and subtraction.

4. Are there any other equations that are related to A-(-b)=a+b?

Yes, there are several other equations that are related to this one. For instance, the commutative property of addition states that the order in which two numbers are added does not affect the sum. This means that a+b is equal to b+a, and therefore, A-(-b) can also be written as (-b)-(-A).

5. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to prove this equation?

One common mistake is forgetting to distribute the negative sign when subtracting a negative number. For example, A-(-b) should be rewritten as A+b before continuing with the proof. Another mistake is not simplifying both sides of the equation before showing that they are equal. It is important to follow all algebraic rules and steps correctly in order to prove the equation accurately.