Finding the differential equation for a oscillating system

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a constant term in a solution for finding the moment of a force. The person is questioning if their approach is correct and seeking clarification on the presence of the constant term. They are also asking for help with their working.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

4ABFh.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this is the correct answer because for some reason I have a constant mg term. Usually I get mgsinθ and from small angle approximations it becomes mgθ, but this time I am getting mgcosθ and from small angle approximations it becomes mg.

9WE42.png

What am I doing wrong? Or is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the distances in your expressions for the moments.

haruspex said:
I don't see the distances in your expressions for the moments.

I just tried this question and did it with the distances, but I also don't understand why there is a constant term. That term is throwing me off.

theBEAST said:
I just tried this question and did it with the distances, but I also don't understand why there is a constant term. That term is throwing me off.
Please post your working if you'd like further assistance.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your homework problem. It is important to understand that there is not one single differential equation for all oscillating systems. The specific form of the differential equation will depend on the specific system and its parameters, such as mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient. Therefore, it is difficult to determine if your equation is correct without knowing the specific system you are working with.

However, in general, the differential equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is given by m(d^2x/dt^2) + kx = 0, where m is the mass of the object, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation can be derived using Newton's second law and Hooke's law. It is possible that in your derivation, you may have made a small mistake or used different assumptions, resulting in a slightly different form of the equation.

I would recommend carefully reviewing your derivation and checking your assumptions to ensure the accuracy of your equation. You can also compare it to the general form mentioned above to see if they are consistent. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a classmate for further clarification.

I hope this helps and wish you success in solving your homework problem.

Sincerely,

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives, expressing the rate of change of the function at a certain point in terms of its current value and other known quantities.

2. How do you find the differential equation for an oscillating system?

To find the differential equation for an oscillating system, you need to apply Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This will result in a second-order differential equation that describes the motion of the oscillating system.

3. What are the variables involved in a differential equation for an oscillating system?

The variables involved in a differential equation for an oscillating system are typically the displacement (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) of the oscillating object, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

4. Are there different types of differential equations for different types of oscillating systems?

Yes, there are different types of differential equations for different types of oscillating systems. For example, a simple harmonic oscillator (such as a mass on a spring) will have a different differential equation than a damped oscillator (such as a pendulum with air resistance).

5. How is a differential equation solved for an oscillating system?

A differential equation for an oscillating system can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using differential equation solvers. The solution will typically involve finding the general equation of motion for the oscillating system, which can then be used to determine the behavior of the system over time.