MSD for Non-Ideal Gas: Derivation & Analysis

• Thread starter Mandelbroth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the Maxwell Speed Distribution for a non-ideal gas can be derived using various equations such as the ideal gas law and Van der Waals equation. It is a general distribution that applies to any classical system at thermal equilibrium, including solids and liquids. However, some sources may mistakenly refer to the Maxwell Speed Distribution as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which only applies to ideal gases. Additionally, in statistical mechanics, the Maxwell Speed Distribution can be obtained by integrating out the position in the probability distribution function, making it applicable to all phases as long as the system can be treated classically and follows a Boltzmann distribution.
Mandelbroth
I've been thinking again. The formula for the Maxwell Speed Distribution for a non-ideal gas is [itex]\displaystyle f(v) = 4\pi \left(\frac{M}{2\pi RT}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-Mv^2}{2RT}}[/itex].

My derivation follows as such:

[itex]\displaystyle f(v) = 4\pi \left(\frac{m}{2\pi nRT}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-mv^2}{2nRT}}[/itex], where m is the mass of the gas and n is the number of moles.

[itex]\displaystyle f(v) = 4\pi \left(\frac{m}{2\pi P_{ideal}V_{ideal}}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-mv^2}{2P_{ideal}V_{ideal}}}[/itex], by the ideal gas law.

[itex]\displaystyle f(v) = 4\pi \left(\frac{m}{2\pi (P + \frac{an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-mv^2}{2(P + \frac{an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)}}[/itex], through the Van der Waals equation.

Factoring, we get [itex]\displaystyle f(v) = 4\pi \left(\frac{mV^2}{2\pi (PV^3-nbPV^2+an^2V-abn^3)}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-mv^2}{2(PV^3-nbPV^2+an^2V-abn^3)}}[/itex].

As ridiculous as it looks, it probably isn't ridiculous enough. Would this work for modeling a non-ideal gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The maxwell Boltzmann distribution is actually very general. It applies to any classical system that is at thermal equilibrium. It even applies to solid and liquid phases.

Jorriss said:
The maxwell Boltzmann distribution is actually very general. It applies to any classical system that is at thermal equilibrium. It even applies to solid and liquid phases.

Maxwell Speed Distribution. Not the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Apparently, they are two different distributions. The Maxwell-Boltzmann is given by [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} \frac{x^2 e^{-x^2/(2a^2)}}{a^3}[/itex], where a is a scale parameter.

Even then, Maxwell-Boltzmann applies to gases with free-moving particles that do not interact and experience completely elastic collisions (id est, ideal gases). It doesn't apply to solids and liquids.

Mandelbroth said:
It doesn't apply to solids and liquids.
I'm fairly certain as long as the canonical position and momenta are uncoupled, it applies to solids and liquids. Do you know any statistical mechanics?

Jorriss said:
I'm fairly certain as long as the canonical position and momenta are uncoupled, it applies to solids and liquids. Do you know any statistical mechanics?
A bit. I would not, however, consider myself an expert at it.

Going back to its application to solids and liquids, a quick Google search yields multiple sources that are saying that it only applies to ideal gases. Then again, a couple of these sources are saying that the Maxwell Speed Distribution and the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution are the same, which may indicate that if you multiply the Maxwell-Boltzmann by the total amount of substance, there is some value of a such that they are equal.

Last edited:
Mandelbroth said:
A bit. I would not, however, consider myself an expert at it.

Going back to its application to solids and liquids, a quick Google search yields multiple sources that are saying that it only applies to ideal gases. Then again, a couple of these sources are saying that the Maxwell Speed Distribution and the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution are the same, which I'm almost positive is wrong...
From statistical mechanics one has, P(p,q) = exp(-BH)/Q.

If momenta and position are uncoupled (ie H = g(p) + w(q) )then Q = QtransQconfigurational.

The marginal probability distribution for momenta is P(p,q) where you integrate out position. p(p) = exp(-Bg(p))/Qtrans.

So the maxwell Boltzmann distribution applies regardless of phase - as long as the system can be treated classically and obeys a Boltzmann distribution ie thermally equilibrated.

Last edited:

1. What is MSD for Non-Ideal Gas?

MSD stands for Mean Square Displacement, which is a measure of the average distance traveled by particles in a system. It is often used to analyze the behavior of gases, and the non-ideal gas MSD is a mathematical formula that takes into account the interactions between gas particles.

2. How is MSD for Non-Ideal Gas derived?

The MSD for Non-Ideal Gas is derived using statistical mechanics principles, specifically the Boltzmann transport equation. This equation takes into account the forces and collisions between gas particles, resulting in a more accurate measure of the average displacement.

3. What factors affect the MSD for Non-Ideal Gas?

The MSD for Non-Ideal Gas is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. Additionally, the size and shape of the gas particles, as well as any external forces acting on the system, can also impact the MSD.

4. How is MSD for Non-Ideal Gas different from MSD for Ideal Gas?

The MSD for Ideal Gas assumes that gas particles do not interact with each other, resulting in a linear increase in displacement over time. However, the MSD for Non-Ideal Gas takes into account the interactions between particles, resulting in a more complex relationship between displacement and time.

5. What is the significance of analyzing MSD for Non-Ideal Gas?

Analyzing the MSD for Non-Ideal Gas can provide valuable insights into the behavior of real-world gases, which often deviate from the ideal gas assumptions. This information can be useful in various fields such as chemical engineering, atmospheric science, and material science, where accurate understanding of gas behavior is crucial.