Mixing of fluid streams in rivers

In summary: Notice how the water levels are much higher than they are now.In summary, the side stream was flowing quickly before the local river in spate cut it off. The water levels are much higher now than they were a few months ago.
Studiot
Walking round a local amenity area today brought this photo of a side stream cut off by the local river in spate flowing past from left to right in the picture.

The river water is reddy brown and the side stream grey-green.
The two waters are not mixing as can be seen by the well defined boundary.

Attachments

• flood1.jpg
    flood1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 625
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
This happens at many confluences, the most recent I've personally seen is at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers in Pittsburgh, PA. It's pretty neat to see.

What would you have expected it to look like?

The grey green needs to somehow transition to the reddish brown?

Maybe I don't get your question.

Maybe I don't get your question.

Obviously not since I didn't have one.

I just thought that some might be interested.

I can certainly see some features of hydraulics theory in play can you?

The most obvious is that the side stream flow has essentially ceased.

Studiot said:
Obviously not since I didn't have one.

I just thought that some might be interested.

Ah! Ok. My bad. Sorry.

The most obvious is that the side stream flow has essentially ceased.

No I don't think that's true. I think it is still flowing. The interface makes you think it isn't.

It is difficult to impossible to show true (as opposed to arty) movement in a still photo.

I can assure you that the water in the side stream was essentially still. Normally its level would not be that high and it would run out quite quickly into the river.

Studiot said:
It is difficult to impossible to show true (as opposed to arty) movement in a still photo.

I can assure you that the water in the side stream was essentially still. Normally its level would not be that high and it would run out quite quickly into the river.

The main stream was flowing very fast?

The main stream was flowing very fast?

That's what I said. The nearby river gauging station was running above the weir.

the local river in spate

Perhaps this English term is new to you?

Here are some typical flood pictures from November.

Last edited by a moderator:

What factors affect the mixing of fluid streams in rivers?

The mixing of fluid streams in rivers is affected by several factors such as the velocity and volume of the streams, the density and temperature of the fluids, and the presence of obstructions or constrictions in the river. These factors can vary greatly depending on the location and characteristics of the river, and can greatly influence the mixing patterns.

How does the mixing of fluid streams in rivers impact water quality?

The mixing of fluid streams in rivers can greatly impact water quality. When two or more streams with different properties (such as pollutants, nutrients, or sediment) mix, it can lead to changes in the overall water quality. This can have both positive and negative effects, depending on the specific substances and their concentrations in the streams.

What are some techniques used to study the mixing of fluid streams in rivers?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the mixing of fluid streams in rivers. These can include physical measurements (such as velocity and temperature), chemical analyses (such as water samples), and numerical modeling to simulate and predict mixing patterns. Dye tracing is also a commonly used method to visually track the mixing of fluids in rivers.

How does the mixing of fluid streams in rivers impact aquatic ecosystems?

The mixing of fluid streams in rivers can have significant impacts on aquatic ecosystems. It can affect the distribution of nutrients, oxygen, and other essential substances for aquatic life. It can also influence the movement and migration of aquatic organisms, and can even alter the physical habitat of the riverbed. Understanding these impacts is crucial for managing and protecting aquatic ecosystems.

Can the mixing of fluid streams in rivers be controlled or manipulated?

In some cases, the mixing of fluid streams in rivers can be controlled or manipulated. For example, structures such as dams or weirs can be used to redirect and regulate the flow of streams, which can impact the mixing patterns. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential consequences and unintended effects of such interventions on the river and its surrounding ecosystem.