Basic Logic Gates / Pulse Train Problem (Includes Solution)

In summary, the problem involves understanding how output pulse trains work, particularly the "rectangle-ness" around the numbers. The output is the same as the input A, which is a sequence of digits. The computational step involves evaluating (a AND B), (b AND B), etc. to determine the values of A and Y. A pulse train is a sequence of values with a specific order. The "rectangle-ness" is just a graphical representation of the 0s and 1s.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused about how output pulse trains work. I already checked online (including Wikipedia) so, could someone please give me an explanation of the absolute basics in an easy-to-understand way?

I'm confused about what the “rectangle-ness” around the numbers is for and how it works.

What I DO get is that the output is the same as the input A since input B is a constant 1 and, converting “1” to “True”, we get unknown AND True = unknown.

Any input for helping me fully understand this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 910
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused about what the “rectangle-ness” around the numbers is for and how it works.
That is just a graphical representation of the input - the line is high for 1 and low for 0.

Oh but, how do I know what A (and, by consequence, Y) is equal to?

In other words, what is the computational step (no matter how simple it may be)?

That is given there. Input A starts with a 1 (written above "a"), this is followed by a 0 ("b"), ...
Well, it could start with "h" as well, but that changes nothing.

So, A is a sequence of digits rather than one final answer?

I was thinking it would be (a OR b OR c OR d OR e OR f OR g OR h) = (0 or 1) = A or something like that. (By a capital "OR", I am referring to boolean logic whereas with the lowercase "or", I am just stating that the final value of A is either a 0 or a 1.)

I'm still confused. (Sorry.)

So, A is a sequence of digits
A pulse train, right (where the individual bits are "wagons").

1) Is the "rectangle-ness" part of the value A or is it just a fancy graphical drawing to what A really is which is only the individual digits (=wagons, as you mentioned in your last post)?

2) Is Y = {(a AND B),(b AND B),(c AND B),(d AND B),(e AND B),(f AND B),(g AND B),(h AND B)} = {(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1)}

3) Is a pulse train a SET of values (in the mathematical sense)?

s3a said:
1) Is the "rectangle-ness" part of the value A or is it just a fancy graphical drawing to what A really is which is only the individual digits (=wagons, as you mentioned in your last post)?
It is the same as the written "0" and "1" - just another way to graph them.

2) Is Y = {(a AND B),(b AND B),(c AND B),(d AND B),(e AND B),(f AND B),(g AND B),(h AND B)} = {(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1)}

3) Is a pulse train a SET of values (in the mathematical sense)?
A sequence of values, they have some order.

I think I get it now (thanks to what you said combined with looking at problems later in the book where B is not a constant 1 and applying what I now know).

Thanks. :)

1. What are basic logic gates and how do they work?

Basic logic gates are building blocks of digital circuits that perform logical operations on input signals to produce an output. They work by using Boolean logic, where inputs and outputs are represented by binary values (0 or 1) and operations are performed using logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT.

2. What are the different types of basic logic gates?

There are seven basic logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. Each gate has a unique truth table that describes the output based on the input values.

3. How do I solve a pulse train problem using basic logic gates?

To solve a pulse train problem using basic logic gates, you need to first identify the inputs and outputs. Then, you can use the truth tables of the logic gates to determine the output based on the input values. You may also need to use additional gates, such as flip-flops, to store and manipulate the pulse train.

4. Can you provide an example of a pulse train problem and its solution using basic logic gates?

Sure! Let's say we have two inputs A and B, and we want to generate an output C that is high (1) when both A and B are high (1) for at least two consecutive clock cycles. We can use a combination of AND, OR, and flip-flop gates to solve this problem. The truth table and corresponding circuit diagram can be found in the provided solution.

5. What are the limitations of using basic logic gates to solve problems?

While basic logic gates are essential building blocks of digital circuits, they have limitations in solving more complex problems. They can only operate on binary inputs and outputs, and they do not have the ability to store and manipulate data. For more complex problems, additional components and advanced logic design techniques are necessary.