Is Sound Energy a Factor in the Lack of Conservation of Momentum in a Collision?

In summary, the sound energy produced (at expense of KE) is not conserved in the collision between the hammer and mass.
nerak99
In a Physics Q, (June 2010 OCR B Q 12) we have in part a.
A hammer of mass 2.0Kg is used to set (a mass on a spring) into oscillation. The following observations are made.
The hammer approaches with an upward velocity of 5.0 m/s
There is a sharp click as the hammer hits the mass.
the hammer leaves the mass with a downward velocity of 3.3 m/s

(i) Why does the second observation suggest about total KEn is not conserved in the collision. (1)

The mark scheme gives one mark for "Sound energy produced (at expense of KE)"

Now I know that this is a standard explanation for the lack of conservation of the quantity 0.5mv^2. However, (I am asked by a student) sound carries momentum too does it not, so why does the observation not say that Momentum is not conserved.?

My answer to this objection (sound carries momentum too) is that the sound carries in all directions and therefore the total loss in momentum is zero. However, I am interested in whether my answer is correct or is there a more sophisticated response?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty much it, actually.

The total energy and momentum is always conserved, but if energy is transferred to the air, there is less energy in the motion of the hammer and mass.

The same is true for momentum, but the total momentum transferred to the air adds up to zero; the momentum of the parcels of air pushed leftwards added to the momentum of the parcels of air pushed rightwards gives you a zero net added momentum.

Likes 1 person
Yes that what I thought.
When I was at school, the non-conseravtion of KE was demonstrated mathematically and I was never terribly happy with this as a "demonstration" since I figured that a maths demo merely demonstrated a limitation of the model.

It occurred to me that it might be possible to set up some kind of experiment that demonstrated this by causing the sound emitted to be all in one direction. Thus momentum would not be conserved either.

Just a thought.

1. What is the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum and kinetic energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any interaction between objects, the total momentum and kinetic energy before the interaction is equal to the total momentum and kinetic energy after the interaction.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy important?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is a key principle in many fields of science, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

3. How is the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy applied in real life?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is applied in many real-life situations, such as in collisions between objects, explosions, and rocket propulsion. It is also used in engineering to design machines and structures that can withstand impact and distribute forces evenly.

4. Can the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all known interactions between objects. It cannot be violated without violating other well-established laws of physics.

5. How does the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. It can be derived from Newton's laws and is a consequence of the law of conservation of energy. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy can also be used to explain and predict the motion of objects in accordance with Newton's laws.