Calculating HZ for Contact Binary Systems

• Thread starter ckirmser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the habitable zone for a contact binary system and determining the effective values for the entire system based on the magnitudes and luminosities of its components. It is noted that the temperature of the system cannot be calculated by simply summing the temperatures of its components. Instead, the average temperature over the whole cycle must be considered due to the varying luminosity during eclipses. The conversation also mentions the importance of accurately integrating the light curve to determine the average luminosity and ultimately, the habitable zone for the system.
ckirmser
Hello, group!

I'm wondering how to calculate the HZ for a contact binary system.

Obviously, you can't use just one of the elements, so I wondered how their temperatures would add together. I figure it's not straight addition and I figure it's not just the hotter of the two.

Is there a formula to calculate the combined temperatures?

Thanx!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The sum is not the blackbody spectrum of a single object with a different temperature. How is "temperature" defined in this case?

mfb said:
The sum is not the blackbody spectrum of a single object with a different temperature. How is "temperature" defined in this case?

Well, I have premade software that would calculate the HZ, and I assumed it was based upon the temperature of the star - the surface temp, I figured.

But, after your response, I looked up the procedure and see that it is based on magnitude and luminosity.

However, even so, I presume that you can't just sum the magnitudes or luminosities of the components of a contact binary to get the effective values for the system. So, I guess the question becomes, how to sum up the magnitudes and luminosities of a multi-component system to get the effective values for the entire system?

Say, looking for habitable zone of Algol.
Contact binaries have orbital periods of up to a few hours. In case of Algol, 69 hours.
The eclipse takes up up to 10 hours of it.
This is shorter than night (12 hours).
So, the general climate will be depending on the average temperature over the whole cycle.
Algol A is estimated to have the luminosity of about 200 times solar. Algol B has about 3,4 times solar.
So most of time the luminosity is about 203 times solar.
During the eclipses, it drops to about 30 % of maximum, meaning about 60 times solar, or decrease of 140 times solar.
Since the eclipse takes up about 1/7 of the cycle, you wind up with average of 183 times solar.

Actually, most of the 10 hours is a partial eclipse. Also Algol A is deformed, so its area and luminosity change even between eclipses. Basically, take care to integrate the light curve to the precision you feel you need, and find the average luminosity.
For example, if you settle at about 196 times solar luminosity, the habitable zone should be about 14 AU away.

Hello there!

Calculating the habitable zone (HZ) for a contact binary system can be a bit complicated, but there are a few key factors to consider. The HZ is the region around a star where liquid water could exist on a planet's surface, making it potentially habitable for life as we know it. It is dependent on the star's temperature and luminosity, as well as the distance between the star and the planet.

In the case of a contact binary system, where two stars are in close proximity and may even be touching, the HZ can be affected by the combined temperature of the two stars. However, it is not a simple addition of their individual temperatures. The exact calculation will depend on the specific properties of the stars, such as their masses and radii.

One approach is to use a computer simulation or model to calculate the HZ for a contact binary system. These models take into account the properties of both stars and can provide a more accurate estimation of the HZ. Alternatively, you can use a formula such as the one developed by Selsis et al. (2007) which takes into account the combined luminosity and temperature of the two stars.

In any case, it is important to note that the HZ is not a definitive boundary and can vary depending on factors such as the composition of the planet's atmosphere. It is also worth considering that a contact binary system may not be the most ideal environment for life to develop, as the close proximity of the stars could result in extreme changes in temperature and radiation levels.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Happy calculating!

1. What is the purpose of calculating the habitable zone (HZ) for contact binary systems?

The HZ is the region around a star where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface, making it potentially habitable for life as we know it. Calculating the HZ for contact binary systems helps us understand which regions of these systems may be suitable for the development of life.

2. How is the HZ for contact binary systems calculated?

The HZ is calculated by considering the properties of the two stars in the contact binary system, such as their masses, temperatures, and luminosities. These factors are used to determine the distance at which a planet can orbit to maintain a stable temperature range for liquid water to exist.

3. What factors can affect the HZ for contact binary systems?

The HZ for contact binary systems can be affected by a variety of factors, including the distance between the two stars, their masses and temperatures, and the presence of other planets or objects in the system. These factors can influence the temperature and stability of the HZ, potentially making it more or less hospitable for life.

4. Can the HZ for contact binary systems change over time?

Yes, the HZ for contact binary systems can change over time. As the stars in the system age and evolve, their properties and the boundaries of the HZ may shift. Additionally, external factors such as interactions with other stars or gravitational influences can also impact the HZ over time.

5. How does the HZ for contact binary systems compare to that of single star systems?

The HZ for contact binary systems can be more complex and variable compared to that of single star systems due to the presence of two stars and their interactions. Additionally, the HZ may be wider in contact binary systems, as the two stars can provide a wider range of temperatures and energy sources for potential habitable planets.