Register to reply

Bizarre vertical light phenomena help!

Share this thread:
ebos
Mar6-14, 06:30 PM
P: 11
Have seen that many, many times while in Alberta, Canada but just during very cold winter nights. Usually more than -20C. Now I know what that was....Thanks.
Billrabara
Mar7-14, 09:28 AM
P: 5
Quote Quote by willem2 View Post
If it happened 6 months ago (september) in Ohio, I don't think it would be cold enough for ice cristals. record low temperature in Toledo, ohio in september is only -3 celsius.
It did happen to me and it was Far East Ohio--- somewhere between the booming metropolises of New Waterford and Alliance. It was in 2013 and I could be off on precisely when I witnessed them occurring (two times last year).
abitslow
Mar8-14, 09:30 AM
P: 140
Don't confuse air temperature at ground level with the temperature of the ice crystals. Ice can form in the atmosphere at any time of the year at that latitude.
MRBlizzard
Mar10-14, 10:17 PM
P: 8
Sounds like a sun dogs; works like a sun dogs. Tiny prisms of ice are suspended in the air, and the wind blowing horizontally aligns the crystals long axis horizontally. These prisms refract the light above and below the light source. This looks like vertical columns of light above (and below) each source.
willem2
Mar11-14, 03:45 AM
P: 1,398
Quote Quote by abitslow View Post
Don't confuse air temperature at ground level with the temperature of the ice crystals. Ice can form in the atmosphere at any time of the year at that latitude.
The ligth from the pillar just above the lightsource is reflected from a spot just above the light source, so there has to be ice at a very low altitude.

Register to reply