Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
"If unbron people knew what's going on in this world, they would never come to this world!" -A scientist

"Someone should die. In order the rest value the life more" -Nicole Kidman in Hours

"Who could you laugh at if there were no stupid person in this world?" -Me

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Mattson said:
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman
I can't believe I haven't heard that one before. I'm going to use that :rofl:.

Reported tonight on Washington Week, on PBS.

A source close to the Bush administration stated: "George Bush is the kind of person who, if he were sitting next to you at a dinner, you'd be looking over his shoulder for someone more interesting.

and continued... "We are now in the post Bush republican era".

That's the best quote that I've heard in six years.

" You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-***** die for his."

Gen. George Patton
if i ever becomea contributer that will be my signature.
and my avatar will be the guy from monty python and the holy grail who makes the horse clop noise.

"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash inbetween"
1 said:
" You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-***** die for his."

Gen. George Patton
if i ever becomea contributer that will be my signature.
Think that says something about a person?

One of my favorite quotes is by Einstein "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

Another favorite is by Matt Groening of the Simpsons - "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

Smurf said:
"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash inbetween"

I like that. Who said it?

Professor's response to his students who were complaining that the problems and work was too hard!

"It's supposed to be hard.

If it was easy, then nobody would pay you to solve the problem!"

:rolleyes: :rofl:

"You know, I got a real warm feeling from that lady talkin' about how she adopted all of those children or was that just the booze?"
-unknown

I'm abit romantic today, so::blushing:

"I love you not because of who you are,
But because of who I am when I'm with you...
No man or woman is worth your tears,
And the one who is won't make you cry.
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to,
doesn't mean that they don't love you with all they have...
A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand,
and touches your heart.

The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting
Right beside them knowing that you can't have them.
Never frown, even when you are sad,
Because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
To the world you may be one person,
But to one person, you may be the world.

Don't waste your time on a man or woman
Who isn't willing to waste their time on you.
Maybe God wanted us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one.
So that when we finally meet the right person,
We will know how to be grateful...
Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened...
There's always going to be people that hurt you. "

I guess that's Paolo Coelo's(did I spell his name correctly?:shy:)

Nice poem Lisa!

Close enough on Coelho's name - http://www.paulocoelho.com/engl/ :cool:

Read the "Fifth Mountain" - very intense.

"In order to love someone, one has to know the someone." - ancient wisdom

Never frown, even when you are sad,
Because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
To the world you may be one person,
But to one person, you may be the world.
Very good perspective to keep in mind :approve: :smile:

Last edited:
Dormio, ergo dubito (I dream, therefor I doubt)

Last night I was falling. Or so it seemed. I considered that when I reached the ground I would die. But then I awoke and was safe in my bed. Or so it seemed.

From Boondocks:

"The absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence." __ Gin Rummy

"There are known knowns, and there are known unknowns, but there are unknown unknowns. Things that we don't know that we don't know." __ Gin Rummy

Lady Astor [First woman member of the British Parliament (although originally American)] meeting Winston Churchill coming out of a wartime 'all night sitting' -
"Sir you are drunk!"

Winston Churchill -
"And you madam are ugly, but in the morning I shall wake up sober."

Garth

Last edited:
Some quotes from Eugene Wigner

Physics is becoming so unbelievably complex that it is taking longer and longer to train a physicist. It takes so long to train a physicist to the place where he understands the nature of physical problems that he is already too old to solve them.

It is nice to know that the computer understands the problem. But I would like to understand it too.

[While] solipsism may be logically consistent with present quantum mechanics, monism in the sense of materialism is not.

The simplicities of natural laws arise through the complexities of the language we use for their expression.
from creative quotes

I have many favorite quotes on many subjects, but here are some of the one s about life that I like:

"No child should be permitted to grow up without an excercise for imagination" - Mark Twain

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and... I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

"... but there is no machine that can do the work of one extraordinary man." - E.B White

"Dreams are the touchstones of our characters." - Henry Thoreau

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - unknown

Thanks,

I've heard it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game is the losers refrain, this is BS, if you take that simple message to heart in life and the game it implies you won't go far wrong.

Lifes a beach, but just when you get used to the water, the tide goes out.

There are more questions than answers, but the more I find out the less I know.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.

Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.

Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.

Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.

Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.

Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Some people would rather die than think: some people do.

as you can tell I'm a bit of Bertrand Russel fan, although not all of them are his quotes.

Last edited:
Perhaps, the only flaw in the universe was my perception of the universe.

Beauty is all that is, and that is all it is.

That is the only way: Rightintent.

Create your own quote.

jimmie

That Patton Quote is one of my favourtes. I also really enjoyed that Robin Williams one on page 1.

"I READ YOUR BOOK!" -Patton to Rommel after defeating Rommel

Back off man, I'm a scientist- Peter Venkman

Listen, do you smell something? - Ray Stanz

What did you do Ray? - Peter Venkman

Buffy: It's about power. (Lessons)

k, couldn't stop there. Just two more Buffy quotes and I'll leave it alone.

(Buffy and Giles stand in front of Buffy's friend's grave.)
Buffy: Does it ever get easy?
Giles: You mean life?
Buffy: Yeah. Does it get easy?
Giles: What do you want me to say?
Buffy: Lie to me.
Giles: Yes, it's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.
(After a moments pause)
Buffy: Liar.Angelus: It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank... Without passion, we'd be truly dead.

Some people are like slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you can't help but :smile: (or :biggrin:) when you seen one tumble down the stairs.

Somebody on the net.

There is never a single right solution. There are always multiple wrong ones, though.

Half of everything you hear in a classroom is crap. Education is figuring out which half is which.

Both quotes by Dave Akin

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Garth said:
Lady Astor [First woman member of the British Parliament (although originally American)] meeting Winston Churchill coming out of a wartime 'all night sitting' -
"Sir you are drunk!"

Winston Churchill -
"And you madam are ugly, but in the morning I shall wake up sober."

Garth

My favourite has got to be

Lady at a tea party after getting into an argument with Winston Churchill.

Lady: Sir, if you were my husband I'd put poison in your tea!

Winston Churchill: Madame, if you were my wife I'd drink it!

Education is what remains when what is learned is forgotten.

"So deafen me with silence
Drown me with your roar
Scowl me with your hollow eyes
Still burnin` to the core"

Floggin Molly - Another Bag of Bricks

"Sucess is measured by how far you bounce after you hit bottom."
-Winston Churchill(?)

"If at first you don't succeed, bash it with a rock" - My friend Charlie

"If at first you don't succeed, bash pengwuino" - Yomamma

"Whenever something goes wrong in the US, a Bush is behind it." -- some dude that hates GWB.

a couple that i read recently:

"No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and Earth as he pleases. But because man is pluckless, he cannot set his mind to it. Moving heaven and Earth without putting forth effort is simply a matter of concentration."
Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure (aka the Way of the Samurai)

"Go on, sir, go on. The difficulties you meet with will resolve themselves as you advance. Proceed; and light will dawn, and shine with increasing clearness on your path."
D’Alembert, note to a student found by Arago

"Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement."

-Mark Twain

"It is only to the individual that a soul is given"- Albert einstein

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." _Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey.(mod's sig in another forum)

Astronuc said:
Nice poem Lisa!

Close enough on Coelho's name - http://www.paulocoelho.com/engl/ :cool:

Read the "Fifth Mountain" - very intense.
Thanks!:smile: