Drinking too much water will kill you

• Thread starter iansmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, a new study found that drinking too much water may damage kidneys. Draining excess water from the body can lead to high urine volumes and damage to the kidneys.
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My title is exagering the situation but a study found that drinking too much water may damage kidneys.
Researchers say kidney damage found in more than 200 residents of Walkerton, Ont., is not the result of E. coli poisoning.

A new study suggests the serious damage has been caused by drinking too much water and that it's a problem that could be afflicting thousands of people across the country.

The condition is one of the findings of a long-term health study into the 2000 tainted-water tragedy and is "completely preventable" a lead researcher told the Canadian Press Wednesday.

The study found that five per cent of the 4,400 residents tested had high urine volumes with pathological levels of protein.

The problem is unrelated to the E. coli-contaminated water that killed seven people and sickened 2,500 others in May 2000.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051116/walkerton_health_051116/20051117?hub=TopStories

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I had heard a new report about it here in North Carolina so I believe it

but exactly how much is TOO MUCH?

hi,

two healthy kidneys can rid themselves of about 1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration.
So you'll have problems(?) with more than 1.5 litre/hour.
(1.5*24=36 l/day :biggrin: )

High urine volume in the bladder is damaging, since the water from the kidney in that case can't be emtied into the bladder. The kidney will retain the water and swell, causing damage to the organ.

I knew drinking too much water could kill you since I was a child in kindergarden. It's called DROWNING! :rofl: I'm just joking, but I did hear about the loss of proper electrolyte balance that comes with too much water. Marathon runner's must eat very salty snacks and prefer to drink gatorade as they are suceptible to consequences (probably not death) of drinking too much water.

On this note I'm heading to 7-11 for a double big gulp.

1. How much water is considered too much?

The amount of water that can be considered too much varies depending on a person's weight, activity level, and overall health. Generally, consuming more than 6 liters (1.5 gallons) of water in a short period of time can be dangerous and potentially lead to water intoxication.

2. What are the symptoms of water intoxication?

Some common symptoms of water intoxication include headache, confusion, nausea, vomiting, and in severe cases, seizures and coma. These symptoms occur because excessive water intake can dilute the electrolyte levels in the body, leading to an imbalance that affects brain function.

3. Can drinking too much water be fatal?

Yes, drinking too much water can be fatal in extreme cases. Water intoxication can lead to a condition known as hyponatremia, where the levels of sodium in the blood become dangerously low. This can cause the brain to swell, leading to coma and even death if left untreated.

4. Can drinking too much water help with weight loss?

While drinking water is essential for overall health and weight loss, consuming excessive amounts of water will not lead to more weight loss. In fact, drinking too much water can put strain on the kidneys and lead to water retention, making it harder to lose weight.

5. How can I prevent water intoxication?

The best way to prevent water intoxication is to listen to your body's thirst cues and drink water when you feel thirsty. It is also important to avoid excessive water intake during intense physical activity or in hot weather. If you are concerned about your water intake, consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.