Solving Quantum Mechanics Integrals: Prove This One

• Thread starter maverick6664
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of a complex integral in the context of quantum mechanics. The person is struggling to understand the concept, but with the help of a provided image and explanation from another user, they are able to grasp the concept better. They also discuss the use of img tags to display images and the implementation of tex on the forum. The conversation ends with the user expressing their gratitude for the helpful explanation.
maverick6664
Hi all,
Reading a book on quantum mechanics, I cannot understand an integral.
Now I can understand this one.
http://www.geocities.jp/badtrans666/physics/int1.gif
however I don't understand this.
http://www.geocities.jp/badtrans666/physics/int2.gif
As a matter of course, x, t are real numbers.
Maybe I'm missing something easy...
Thanks in advance! (btw how can I display these as images? I'm using img tags)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
substitution x=t+i and not worrying too much seems to make it make more sense.

Consider the contour C in the complex plane consisting of the line segments (separately parametrized with "t"):
[itex]L_{1}: t+i, -a\leq{t}\leq{a}[/itex]
[itex]L_{2}: a+(1-t)i, 0\leq{t}\leq{1}[/itex]
[itex]L_{3}: -t, -a\leq{t}\leq{a}[/itex]
[itex]L_{4}: a+ti 0\leq{t}\leq{1}[/itex]

Consider now the (complex) integral [itex]\oint_{C}exp(-z*z)dz[/itex]
where the complex variable z is to be evaluated along the contour C.
Since the integrand is an analytical function we have, by Cauchy's theorem:
[itex]\oint_{C}exp(-z*z)dz=0[/itex]
This is analogous to the real (multi-)variable theorem that says that the integral of a gradient field along a closed contour is zero.

Furthermore, w the complex integral is additive, so we may split up the integral over C in 4 integrals over the 4 line segments:
[itex]\oint_{L_{1}}exp(-z*z)dz+\oint_{L_{2}}exp(-z*z)dz+\oint_{L_{3}}exp(-z*z)dz+\oint_{L_{4}}exp(-z*z)dz=0[/itex]

Now, let us look at the limiting expression when we let "a" go towards infinity:
Every complex point on the vertical strips [itex]L_{2},L{4}[/tex] will get bigger and bigger modulus. But that means that the two integrals along these strips will decrease in value, reaching 0 in the limit.

Thus, we are left with the expression:
[itex]\int_{-\infty}exp(-(t+i)*(t+i))dt+\int_{\infty}exp(-t*t)dt=0[/itex]
Here, the upper limit in the first integral is infinity, whereas the upper limit in the second integral is negative infinity. (My keyboard is working against me!)

Switching upper and lower limits in the last integral effects the identity you were after.

Thanks! It's so easy...

I noticed

exp(-(t+i)^2) is the conjugate of exp(-(-t+i)^2) !

arildno's explanation is very interesting.

Last edited:
maverick6664 said:
Thanks! It's so easy...
I noticed
exp(-(t+i)^2) is the conjugate of exp(-(-t+i)^2) !
arildno's explanation is very interesting.
Let me practice tex on this forum:
[tex]exp(-(t+i)^2)[/tex]
is the conjugate of
[tex]exp(-(-t+i)^2)[/tex]

So

[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} exp(-(x+i)^2)dx = \int^{+\infty}_{_\infty} exp(-x^2)dx [/tex]

Oh! cool tex implementation!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving quantum mechanics integrals?

The purpose of solving quantum mechanics integrals is to accurately describe and predict the behavior of quantum systems. By solving these integrals, we can obtain information about the energy levels, wave functions, and other properties of quantum particles.

2. How do you approach solving quantum mechanics integrals?

When solving quantum mechanics integrals, it is important to first understand the mathematical principles and equations involved. Then, you can use techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or series expansion to solve the integral. It is also important to carefully consider the limits of integration and any special conditions that may apply.

3. What are some common challenges when solving quantum mechanics integrals?

One of the main challenges when solving quantum mechanics integrals is dealing with complex mathematical equations and calculations. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of the results, as even small errors can significantly affect the predictions of quantum systems. Additionally, some integrals may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. How is solving quantum mechanics integrals related to other areas of science?

Solving quantum mechanics integrals is essential for understanding and studying many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. These integrals are used to describe the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, which are fundamental building blocks of the world around us.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving quantum mechanics integrals?

Solving quantum mechanics integrals has a wide range of real-world applications, such as in developing new materials, designing electronic devices, and understanding chemical reactions. It is also crucial for technologies such as quantum computing, which relies on the principles of quantum mechanics to perform complex calculations and processes.