Solving a Frictional Problem with No Given Masses

• Thread starter python023
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining frictional forces between surfaces and masses in a problem where no masses are given. The formula for coefficient of static friction is mentioned, but without the necessary forces or masses, it seems impossible to solve. The expert suggests drawing a force diagram and using the fact that the masses cancel out to find the coefficient of friction. However, there is some confusion about whether the calculated coefficient of friction is correct. It is clarified that the coefficient of friction is dimensionless and an efficiency.
python023
In this section, I am trying to determine frictional forces between surfaces and masses. However, in this type of problem, no masses are given. Here is a type of question:

A crate is carried in a pickup truck traveling horizontally at 15.0 m/s. The truck applies the brakes for a distance of 28.7 m while stopping with uniform acceleration. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the truck bed if the crate does not slide?

I have determined the truck brakes at -3.92 m/s^2. The formula I have for coefficient of static friction is Frictional Force = Coeff. of Friction * Normal Force. However, no forces or masses are given. How can I solve this type of problem?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw your force diagram. You will find that the masses cancel and that the acceleration from friction will be some percentage of acceleration of gravity, and that will be your coefficient.

I tried to set the mass of the crate to 100kg. After drawing a force diagram, I'm not sure I am doing it right. Force Normal and the Force of Gravity should equal one another. If Net Force = Mass * Acceleration, and the mass is 100kg*-3.92 m/s, you get a negative net force of -392 N. 392 N/981N(Normal Force) = .400N. Is this the coefficient of friction?

Almost ... the Units cancel (392 N / 981 N) = 0.40 , unitless.
The co-efficient of friction is an efficiency , so it is dimensionless.

By the way, Normal Force = gravity Force here, but it often isn't ... watch out!

1. What is friction and why is it important to solve frictional problems?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important to solve frictional problems because it can affect the performance and efficiency of machines and structures, and also cause wear and tear on surfaces.

2. Can friction be eliminated completely?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that exists between surfaces in contact. However, it can be reduced through methods such as lubrication or using smoother surfaces.

3. How do you solve a frictional problem with no given masses?

To solve a frictional problem with no given masses, you can use the coefficient of friction, which is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. This value can be found in tables or calculated using the materials' properties.

4. Are there any assumptions made when solving a frictional problem with no given masses?

Yes, there are some assumptions that are typically made when solving a frictional problem with no given masses. These include assuming the surfaces are rigid and that the coefficient of friction remains constant throughout the motion.

5. How can solving frictional problems be applied in real-life situations?

Solving frictional problems can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing machines and structures, determining the braking distance of a vehicle, or understanding the performance of sports equipment. It can also help in reducing energy consumption and improving the overall efficiency of systems.