Find a vector parallel to two planes

In summary, to find a vector parallel to two planes, you can take the cross product of their normal vectors. In this case, the normal vectors are <3,1,1> and <3,0,1>. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the normal vectors, making it parallel to both planes. However, there may be multiple correct answers as any multiple of the resulting vector will also be parallel to the planes.
UrbanXrisis
there are two planes:

3x+y+z=1
3x+z=0

find a vector U with positive first coordinate that is parallel to both planes.

the way I went about solving this:
the normal vectors are: <3,1,1> and <3,0,1>, the cross product of the vectors will give a vector perpendicular to the normal, which means it would be parallel to the two planes right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right.

when I did this, I get <1,0,-3> and this is not correct. so i do not know where I went wrong

(1, 0, -3) is correct. Maybe you are comparing it to a vector that is a multiple of (1, 0, -3)--there is more than one answer. (2, 0, -6) is also correct.

1. What is the definition of a vector parallel to two planes?

A vector parallel to two planes is a vector that lies completely within both planes and has the same direction as both planes.

2. How do you find a vector parallel to two planes?

To find a vector parallel to two planes, you can use the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes. The resulting vector will be parallel to both planes.

3. Can there be more than one vector parallel to two planes?

Yes, there can be infinitely many vectors parallel to two planes. Any vector that lies completely within both planes and has the same direction as both planes can be considered parallel to the two planes.

4. Can a vector be parallel to two planes if it is perpendicular to one of the planes?

No, a vector cannot be parallel to two planes if it is perpendicular to one of the planes. A vector must have the same direction as both planes to be considered parallel to them.

5. How is finding a vector parallel to two planes useful in science?

Finding a vector parallel to two planes is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for the calculation of angles and distances between planes, which can be important in understanding the relationships between different objects or systems.