Saddam Hussein Captured in Iraq

• News
  • Thread starter FZ+
  • Start date
In summary, the coalition forces in Iraq have finally captured Saddam Hussein, in his home town of Tikrit. DNA testing has confirmed his identity, so there is little room for doubt. This is a very positive development, and maybe things over there will now begin to get better. However, loyalists are very unpredictable and might take this news as an all-or-nothing incentive to do some real harm to the military.
FZ+
The coalition forces in Iraq have finally captured S Hussein, in his home town of Tikrit. Apparently, his identity is confirmed by DNA testing, so there is little room for doubt. Certainly, this is a very positive development, and maybe things over there will now begin to get better.

Reactions?
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,561435,00.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw Paul Bremmer (currently visiting the Netherlands) giving a Pers conference. He had this to say: "Ladies and Gentlemen. We got him." End pers conference

Very good.

Originally posted by FZ+
The coalition forces in Iraq have finally captured S Hussein, in his home town of Tikrit. Apparently, his identity is confirmed by DNA testing, so there is little room for doubt. Certainly, this is a very positive development, and maybe things over there will now begin to get better.

Reactions?
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,561435,00.html
AGAIN?!

Here is a picture of the captured, I guess the likeness is great.

http://www.omroep.nl/nos/nieuws/images/buitenland/228/saddam_gevangenbreed2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Every single thing the USA does to any of these nations they are targeting increases the hostility against them by all of those nations. However, Bush actually wants this, as it justifies all his actions.

2) I suspect we will see truck-bombs and such at USA bases in Iraq over the next few nights. Massive attacks. Loyalists will attempt to spring the guy free.

3) Notice the operation names? Operation "Red Dawn". Red Dawn was a movie in which great American heroes fought the dirty communists. The two groups of troops in the operation were called, I believe, Wolverine One and Wolverine Two. In the movie Red Dawn, the heroic American lads and lasses called themselves the Wolverines. Yes, they named the whole operation after a good-guys/bad-guys movie. This, I feel, reflects the entire gung-ho attitude of the troops over there.

4) Given that the USA refused to participate in any international form of justice (their refusal to join the ICC), under what international standard can they put Hussein on trial? Or will they once again do a Camp X-Ray and simply say "We don't need law, we don't need justice, we can simply do what we want with him"?

5) Do you think Saddam Hussein will be viewed as a living martyr by those willing to take up arms against America?

Gee Adam, and here I have just heard this and came here to tell everyone if they hadn't yet, I thought it was good news.

I agree that loyalists are very unpredictible and might take this news as an all-or-nothing incentive to do some real harm to the military.

On the other hand, the released videos show a very meak saddam hussein who is not resisting his arrest and medical examination, this will instill doubt of the greatness of their leader.

You also have to remember that Saddam Hussein has been in power over the last 33 years and his regime was based on overpowering fear to the citizens of his country. It is a great thing that this leader has been taken off the street so that the citizens at least have gained some freedom of speech and actions.

Now we will have to see how strong the people are who acted underneath Saddam Hussein and if they will continue his actions.

I agree, the good people will be very encouraged. The bad people will be discouraged, but because they are insane in the first place, they will stay the same or get wrose in their attacks. Unless of course Saddam was the head guy in all the attacks, in which case it might get eerily quiet...

Oh, I agree that Saddam Hussein is a nasty guy, and in the long run Iraq will probably be better off without him. However, I do not agree with the method of removal, and I do not approve of the lies involved with the invasion.

Originally posted by Jonathan
Unless of course Saddam was the head guy in all the attacks, in which case it might get eerily quiet...
Saddam has been on the run since May, I am very sure that he has not been behind any of the attacks since then. I mean, how many people have the military taken in custody? Saddam couldn't trust anyone, since everyone could be a traitor and disclose his location (which happened quite a few times, right?) in this case too, it is very likely that one of his contacts talked to the military after which they caught him.

I am surprised that Saddam didn't commit suicide upon capture, he must be very aware that this is the end of his life as it has been.

Originally posted by Adam
1) Every single thing the USA does to any of these nations they are targeting increases the hostility against them by all of those nations. However, Bush actually wants this, as it justifies all his actions.
Yeah, they're dancing in the streets again - more evidence they hate us.
2) I suspect we will see truck-bombs and such at USA bases in Iraq over the next few nights. Massive attacks. Loyalists will attempt to spring the guy free.
Quite possibly. The next few days will be interesting.
4) Given that the USA refused to participate in any international form of justice...
We should send him to the Hague where he can bunk with Slobo. Incidentally, how was he removed from power...?

Last edited:
Originally posted by russ_watters
Don't forget that media can misrepresent an image, remember those cheering people when the military reached the heart of Iraq? It seemed like there were crouds and crouds, but a camera which was filming from a distance showed only a handfull of people.

So yes, the victims of Saddam's regime are cheering with this newfound freedom, but there also a lot of extremists who don't like to have the power taken from them in this way, fueling their hatred.

We should send him to the Hague where he can bunk with Slobo. Incidentally, how was he removed from power...?
Yes, there is controversy how Saddam will get a 'fair' trial, in Iraq he would probably be decapitated no questions asked. I too have rumours that the Hague might be the place of justice.. we'll see how things play out. I guess it will be a big no no to have a trial in the US?

This is fantastic news. Even though there might be some retaliation from the Saddam extremists the entire world is a better place today.

russ_watters

Many Iraqis are indeed celebrating. However, I doubt very much that the families of the 8000+ innicent Iraqis killed by US bombs are celebrating.

After the war mostly passed, the locals rose up against him and dragged him into custody.

Adam
You site how many Iraqis were killed by the Evil US but not how many Iraqis were killed by that poor Sadaam guy who was just minding his own business?

Many Iraqis are indeed celebrating. However, I doubt very much that the families of the 8000+ innicent Iraqis killed by US bombs are celebrating.

8000+ is an exaggeration . . . but you can double that number when you consider the thousands upon thousands of Kurds that were killed by Saddam's regime.

Bombing was justified . . . in order to oust Saddam.

Let's get a hold of ourselves, folks. The morality of the war has been pretty much debated into the ground, and I don't this new development changes that. I think we can all agree that the capture of Saddam is a positive development, even if HOW positive it turns out to be is arguable. IMHO, at the least it will have an effect on the borderline groups, and so affect the guerilla's recruitment capabilities.

How the trial - and there better be an open trial that is internationally recognised - happens will indeed be pretty significant.

Sodom Hussein is a dead man. His trial will be by a court empowered to provide a death penalty, probably an Iraqi court, or a US military tribunal. The outcome will be a death penalty. It will take little time; I expect the entire process to take about nine months.

He will be held by the US until all desired information is extracted from him. Already, as I write, information is becoming available proving his linkage to and his support of Al Quaida. Finding the whereabouts of WMD is now certain. I suspect the French and German leaders are dreading the prospect of his interrogation that will reveal their alliance with him.

One can only ponder the effect on other totalitarian leaders who now have witnessed the hole in the ground and the disheveled person found to be cowering in it. What’s-his-name in North Korea went into hiding about a month ago. What’s-his-name in Libya has become helpful in providing anti-terrorist information. What’s-his-name in Syria will suddenly find co-operation with Israel to be very important. Now is the time for the Iranian people to expel their despotic and despicable government.

GW Bush, Tony Blair, the leaders of Spain, Poland, and indeed all of our steadfast allies deserve the thanks of the peace loving people in the world as one more evil regime finds justice.

Does anyone know if Bin laden has a more comfortable hole to hide in?

Sodom Hussein is a dead man. His trial will be by a court empowered to provide a death penalty, probably an Iraqi court, or a US military tribunal. The outcome will be a death penalty. It will take little time; I expect the entire process to take about nine months.
A show trial is the worst possible consequence of this development. If Bush was to say something like this, the situation can majorly backfire.

Finding the whereabouts of WMD is now certain. I suspect the French and German leaders are dreading the prospect of his interrogation that will reveal their alliance with him.
An intriguing logic, this assuming conclusions and waiting for supporting facts.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=421901&section=news

Let it be a moment to reach out and reconcile."
This may be the most postive outcome - switching from visiting blood vengence on former officials to rebuilding Iraq as viably independent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by GENIERE
I suspect the French and German leaders are dreading the prospect of his interrogation that will reveal their alliance with him.
Their alliance with him, where did you get that idea?

Originally posted by GENIERE

Perhaps, but I hope that it is rather by an international tribunal in Iraq. Crimes were not just committed against the Iraqis, but also the Iranians and the Kuwaiti's. Of course if this is by an international Hague tribunal it rules out the death penality which will be a problem for some, I suppose.

Originally posted by FZ+
I think we can all agree that the capture of Saddam is a positive development, even if HOW positive it turns out to be is arguable. IMHO, at the least it will have an effect on the borderline groups, and so affect the guerilla's recruitment capabilities.

There's nothing that can be called bad news when it comes to having arrested a genocidal mass murderer.

Originally posted by kawikdx225
Adam
You site how many Iraqis were killed by the Evil US but not how many Iraqis were killed by that poor Sadaam guy who was just minding his own business?

Did I refer to Saddam as "that poor Saddam guy"? I think I have stated my actual opinion of the man. Don't be silly.

This is ridiculous, you don't know what the families are thinking or feeling, and you don't have a right to speak for them. Having had a family member die by U.S. bombs doesn't disallow having had a family member or members die to the horrors of Saddam. They very well may be celebrating. Not for you to say. Just rubbish.

Originally posted by Integral0 8000+ is an exaggeration . . . but you can double that number when you consider the thousands upon thousands of Kurds that were killed by Saddam's regime.
1) http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ Check out their sources. It is no exaggeration.

2) Iraqi kurds tended to fear the Turkish more than Saddam. Do you by any chance have a reliable figure for the number of kurds Saddam killed? I have been told it is in the hundreds of thousands, but I'm not certain.

Bombing was justified . . . in order to oust Saddam.
1) Personally, I don't think two wrongs make a right. I don't think the deaths caused by Saddam Hussein make it okay to bomb the hell out of civilian populations.

2) I have a question for you. If you lived in Iraq, and disliked Saddam Hussein, would you consider it acceptable for some foreign military to bomb and kill YOUR family in the attempt to remove Saddam? If not, then do you think there is anyone in the world who would answer "yes" to that question?

Originally posted by kat
This is ridiculous, you don't know what the families are thinking or feeling, and you don't have a right to speak for them. Having had a family member die by U.S. bombs doesn't disallow having had a family member or members die to the horrors of Saddam. They very well may be celebrating. Not for you to say. Just rubbish.

Yeah. Let's assume they are happy about cluster bombs killing their family members.

Your reply doesn't make any sense, it doesn't even respond to my statements. But...please...let's not ass-u-me anything cause you know what assuming does.

Originally posted by FZ+
Reactions?
Dad gets his xmas present a couple of weeks early. :smile:

The trial should prove interesting and I'm wondering how much censorship will be involved.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
The trial should prove interesting and I'm wondering how much censorship will be involved.
Censorship of what?

I don't think this matters, even if it is true. Would the U.S. cease to exist if you kill Bush? This is a blip on the radar, frankly. Nothing will change either way, except to possibly escalate the violence.

Hmmmm...do you think this will go by international tribunal? Somehow, I doubt it.

what about bin laden? he's the one they really should be after...

If we're going to go back and rehearse who had an alliance with Saddam, may I bring up Ronald Reagan?

Originally posted by Kerrie
what about bin laden? he's the one they really should be after...
Well, again, doesn't really matter...except that mopping up Al Qaida should have been a priority over Iraq.

The only reason I would not vote for President Bush in 2004 is if he did turn over Hussein to an international court. I’m ok with having the Iraqis try him. I’m ok with our coalition partners being involved. The trial will be in a courtroom fully accessible to the media of all countries.

I’m not surprised to hear a micro-cephalic CNN reporter state he almost felt sorry for Saddam because of his wretched appearance.