Uniform convergence of integrable functions

In summary, it is not certain which type of integral is meant, it can be Newton, Riemann or Lebesgue.
hooker27
This question arised in my last math class:

If a sequence of functions [tex]f_n[/tex] uniformly converges to some [tex]f[/tex] on [tex](a, b)[/tex] (bounded) and all [tex]f_n[/tex] are integrable on [tex](a, b)[/tex], does this imply that [tex]f[/tex] is also integrable on [tex](a, b)[/tex] ??
([tex]f_n[/tex] do not necessarily have to be continous, if they were, the answer would be obvious)

Note: It is not certain, which type of integral is meant, it can be Newton, Riemann or Lebesgue. Let me please know if the answer depends on which type of integral is used.

- If it is true, could you please tell me where (on www) I might find a proof??
- If it is not true, could you please show me a sequence for which it is not true??

Thanks a lot, H.

Physics news on Phys.org
An easy way to see Riemann integrability is to note that if fn is continuous at x for all n, then f is continuous at x. Therefore, a discontinuity point of f must be a discontinuity point of some fn (the converse need not be true). Thus, the set of discontinuity points of f is contained in the union of the discontinuity points of the fn. For each fn, the set of discontinuity points is a zero set (assuming Riemann integrability), so the set of discontinuity points of f is contained in the countable union of zero sets, hence is contained in a zero set, hence is a zero set, so f is Riemann integrable.

Lebesgue integrability is preserved as well, I believe. Try looking up the Lebesgue dominated convergence theorem.

What, precisely, do you mean by "Newton" integrable? I don't recognise that term.

HallsofIvy said:
What, precisely, do you mean by "Newton" integrable? I don't recognise that term.
Maybe there is s different name for that in english. What I know as Newton's integral is this:
if a function f is defined on (a,b) and there exists some F such that [tex]F'(x) = f(x)[/tex] for all x from (a,b) (in other words - the function F is an antiderivative of f on (a,b) ) then Newton's integral of f over (a,b), denoted as
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]
is defined as
[tex]\lim_{x\to b-}F(x)-\lim_{x\to a+}F(x)[/tex].

So what I call "Newton integrable" is:
- function must have an antiderivative
- the limits (above) of the antiderivative must exist
- the expression with the limits (above) must be well defined (not [tex]\infty -\infty[/tex] etc.)

As for my previous question: of all discontinous functions [tex]f_n[/tex] have antiderivatives, does their uniform limit [tex]f[/tex] also have an antiderivative?

1. What is uniform convergence of integrable functions?

Uniform convergence of integrable functions refers to a type of convergence in which the difference between the limit of a sequence of functions and the actual function decreases uniformly as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the convergence is independent of the point at which the function is evaluated.

2. Why is uniform convergence important?

Uniform convergence is important because it guarantees that the limit function will have the same properties as the sequence of functions, such as continuity or integrability. It also allows for easier manipulation and integration of functions.

3. How does uniform convergence differ from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only requires that the function values approach the limit at each individual point, while uniform convergence requires that the difference between the function values and the limit decreases uniformly. In other words, uniform convergence is a stronger type of convergence.

4. Can a sequence of integrable functions converge uniformly but not in the mean?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence of integrable functions to converge uniformly but not in the mean. This means that the integral of the difference between the function and the limit function does not necessarily approach zero, even though the pointwise difference does.

5. What are some applications of uniform convergence of integrable functions?

Uniform convergence of integrable functions is used in various areas of mathematics, such as in the proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus or in the convergence of Fourier series. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the use of mathematical functions.